Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Solid State Voltage Regulator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Are there any electronics engineers here willing to help? Please PM me!

I am working on a board to install inside stock voltage regulators to convert them to full solid state and have come up with a design by reverse-engineering another solid state regulator.

Right now it is switchable between 6v and 12v but it is negative ground only. What I need is for the schematic to be checked for viability and to come up with a similar one that is positive ground as I doubt making it also switchable is possible.

Also, perhaps not quite high enough in amperage as it’s rated at 40A but should closer to 45A but am having trouble getting it small enough even as it is due to the heatsinks needed.

For now, I want to focus only on postwar units.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 14:17
 Top  Print 

Re: Solid State Voltage Regulator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is what they say about the Model A solid state units currently for sale:

Looks and fits just like the original. Not just a diode. No alterations required. The solution to your cut out and battery problems.

Working like a true voltage regulator, this does away with overcharged batteries, and burned out generators. Modern internals with original appearance.

Has FORD script. Usage on a negative ground system will destroy this unit.

I would use those internals under a dummy regulator cover.

However, I knew Packards that ran for years on cutouts only. The only problem was owner complaining that driving at night was in discharge zone because daytime setting was such to prevent overcharging. If they weren't driving for hours that wasn't a problem, otherwise the unit would need to be set for nighttime driving via the third brush.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 19:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, I know about just about every solid state regulator that is currently available including the small ones used for motorcycles. Some are even positive ground but none have the needed amperage.

Oddly, though, when I started this thread and posted the entry, it made me think of a way to save space inside the housing so I’ll have to check it out.

In the meantime, if people with various years and models (especially postwar) can tell me the sizes of the cover and the regulator brand and model, it would be most helpful.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 20:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I'll see if I can some measurements for you of mine.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 21:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you! I have a new ‘51-‘54 Delco-Remy type already but if yours is Autolite, it would be very helpful.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 21:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Delco-style regulators from Quality Power

Quality Power Voltage Regulators

Posted on: 2022/3/8 23:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have one in my 1965 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special but regulators for alternators are an entirely different thing than regulators for generators.

Posted on: 2022/3/8 23:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
The site says they have available:

"Generator regulator - for use with Delco generators. Take your choice of either the 6V or 12V options below. These are all 3 terminal - case grounded and will work with either Positive or Negative ground systems."

Posted on: 2022/3/8 23:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had forgotten that I have one of those on order but haven't seen it yet. Still, my question is in looking for an electronic engineer willing to help with the design I'm working on.

Posted on: 2022/3/9 3:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Don, I'm a mechanical engineer so I can at least try and help. My EE classes were a long time ago, so I'm not sure how prepared I will be. Send me a PM.

Posted on: 2022/3/9 7:34
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved