Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 38

DM37, R Howe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Solid State Voltage Regulator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
There are EE consultants and design/start-up/incubator firms that would assist. Depends where you live what's available. My suggestion is to know your market first. How many of these would be sold? The authenicity guys won't buy. The modernizers will convert and go alternator or genernator. Plus a replacement 6V VR sells for around $50-60. You have to make a profit, so cost has to be <$30 all in and have to sell millions to offset start-up costs. There's trademark issues if you want to copy the look. How many 6V cars with VR issues are out there? Mostly lack of know how from what I see. From what I know of EE, if you're having heat sink issues, you're on the wrong efficiency trail.

Posted on: 2022/3/9 10:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm not duplicating the trademarked covers but rather using original covers as I'm making only the board. Also, I'm not planning on mass production but only a handful and yes, they will cost considerably more than a regular regulator but they will also work much better, possibly be easier on the battery which may prolong it too and, I hope, last longer.

Posted on: 2022/3/9 11:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The limiting factor is the generator. If a given regulator is maintaining a group 2 battery there much of anywhere left to go. Full fielding one of those generators will determine the maximum output, high charging rates are hard on those generators.

One of the reasons the Optima 6 volt batteries do so well is the moderate charging rates. The manufacturer recommends moderate charging rates for those batteries.

Posted on: 2022/3/9 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, I know but to clarify, I am doing this for myself, for my own cars and was planning on making a few extra for others who might want theirs converted. It goes without saying that the generator must be up to the task and my own will have been rebuilt to 50 amps or so. I'm not a purist as long as things look authentic and am personally not fond of Optima batteries.

Posted on: 2022/3/9 13:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/automotive-6-volt-generator-transistor-voltage-regulator.157408/
Plenty of circuit diagrams out there for voltage control.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/regulator-external-for-delco-10dn-20dn-d635-0211702-280-79004814-4-adr6002.html#new-description-overview

The last place makes them for 12V, maybe they can offer some guidance.
I think this has been solved already so you might want to search a wider field.

Posted on: 2022/3/11 8:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Actually, this place makes a 6V Positive ground regulator, too, but only 10-12 Amps.

6V Positive Ground Voltage Regulator for Ford 8N Tractor, DBElectrical

Posted on: 2022/3/11 10:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Don - my voltage regulator is a Delco-Remy, which you already have. Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/3/11 11:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
So the Quality Power 6v voltage regulators look good and appear relatively authentic but they are not solid state. Also, every one of their Support and Contact links leads to a 404 Page Not Found error other that one on the About page!

Also, the ones for tractors on DBElectrical are not solid state.

Posted on: 2022/3/15 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Older porsches 356 and 912 have 12 Generators with mechanical Extertal regulators. Here is a link to a guy who made some hybrid type of regulator.
I dont fully understand all that he did, but it might help.
912 ss regulator

Bosch supplies 12v electronic regulators for vdubs and porsche etc. I have one in my 912, and it has served me very well for about 6 years now.

Posted on: 2022/3/15 16:50
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you for that and not to chastise people for trying to help which I really to appreciate, but as my original post said I've already researched extensively and know what is available and have read about every blog on the subject so I am looking for help on the design I'm working on.

There is also a shop that SAID they can convert to solid state and that is what I had originally planned but when the time came, in actuality it is only the removal of the BAT relay with a diode to replace it. That is not a solid state regulator!

Posted on: 2022/3/15 17:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved