Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Packard 400 Valve cover color
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ernie Baily
See User information
I'm doing some paint detailing under the hood of my brothers 56 Packard 400, according to the Packard club documentation it calls for the valve covers to be silver with red lettering. How ever mine are black. It has the old type spark plug wire holders. So I think it is a late production car. I'm thinking it might look better if I painted them black with silver lettering. I'm not sure what color to do? Any Thoughts/advice!

Posted on: 2022/3/12 10:50
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Packard 400 Valve cover color
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
55 Seniors had Black with Creme or Ivory lettering along with an Ivory color engine. For 56 Seniors it was Silver with Red lettering with a Bronze color engine. Chrome valve covers were standard on Caribbeans and optional for other models. IMO, it would be more appropriate to paint as original but obviously it is your choice.

As to the plug wire holders, the 4 wires close together were 55 and early 56. The wide spaced holders came along in 56 and were retrofittable to the earlier models if customers had issues with crossfiring.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL30NO3.pdf

I don't have a good view of a 55 engine rocker cover but here is something from a factory AC install manual. The other photo is of what is claimed to be a low mileage original 56 400. There may be a better photo of both covers if you search thru the 55 and 56 photo archives.

Attach file:

jpg  55.jpg (164.84 KB)
209_622cc552e12a4.jpg 1214X666 px

jpg  Picture 24.jpg (96.74 KB)
209_622cc66db35f9.jpg 1085X806 px

Posted on: 2022/3/12 11:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Silver lettering? You must be thinking of Chevy V8.

Follow the scheme outlined by HH56 for painted valve covers.

However, if the base metal is in good enough shape and you can afford to get them chrome plated, the Packard lettering was left chrome for 55, but painted red for 56.

Late friend and member, Randy Berger had individually-boxed, NOS
chrome covers - one with red script, the other plain, but same P/N.

Posted on: 2022/3/12 13:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
This is one of the things Packard goofed on.

In my artists view.

The letters should be main car color. In that spectrum .

The red just doesn't sit with me.

Posted on: 2022/3/13 14:12
Riki
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ernie Baily
See User information
Does anyone have any tip on how to paint the red letters on the valve cover? I have tried a couple of methods and have no luck!

Posted on: 2022/4/8 10:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just a thought and I have not tried it but what about some kind of roller like this one with a soft to medium solid rubber surface. Not anything squishy or with a deep spongy surface that will compress and let paint go below the raised lettering but one with just the slightest bit of give that will mostly stay on the very top of the lettering. You might need to experiment a bit with the pressure and maybe the paint consistency would need to be a bit less runny than usual.

Attach file:

jpg  roller.jpg (145.87 KB)
209_6250530ac4cdc.jpg 2592X1288 px

Posted on: 2022/4/8 10:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
What hh. Posted.

If your a wood worker

Make a box to fit roller replace handle with. Thread stock.

Then roll it over

Posted on: 2022/4/8 11:56
Riki
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved