Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

McColloch Supercharger for Packard V*
Just popping in
Just popping in

NoCoClipper
See User information
Last Fall I purchased an almost complete supercharger kit for a Packard V8. I'm in the process of having the blower rebuilt and building the 352 engine. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with forced induction on one of these and has any words of wisdom.

The original engine block was cracked in my '55 Clipper Constellation so I found a '56 block which has stronger main caps. I will keep the lower compression '55 heads but I am undecided which type of head gaskets to use. I'm inclined to use the shim type over the composite variety. Apart from finding a forged crankshaft, I'm not sure what else I can do to make it a good recipient for the VS57.

Posted on: 2022/3/12 23:29
 Top  Print   

Re: McColloch Supercharger for Packard V8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
This was discussed some years ago, here, in another thread:

Packard V8 supercharged engine

Also, a previous member, Turbopackman, made his own bracket to mount a McCulloch/Paxton supercharger to a 56 Patrician. Though the rest of the car was not restored, it was nonetheless drivable. The car ultimately wound up in the hands of the Packard museum in Dayton, but may have been cut up for parts.

After repeated clashes with another member, Turbopackman left the site and shifted his focus to Studebaker. He later fell off the radar completely.

Posted on: 2022/3/13 8:54
 Top  Print   

Re: McColloch Supercharger for Packard V*
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day NoCoClipper,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '55 Clipper Constellation in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/3/13 14:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

NoCoClipper
See User information
Thanks for the information. It looks like I'm in largely uncharted territory. I'll post pictures as I move forward. I just finished rebuilding the T-85 and the 352 is just waiting for the heads to come back from the machine shop.

Posted on: 2022/3/13 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
What pistons are you planning to use?

Are you aware the first generation valve spring retainer are too soft and must be replaced with hardened retainers?

Are you aware the OEM valve springs do not provide sufficient tension for a supercharged engine?

It is theoretically possible to have a distributor provide the necessary timing curve for a supercharged engine, but it's difficult. The starting point would be to have the Packard distributor rebuilt to Studebaker R2 advance curve.

The best would be to convert to a crank trigger and a completely digital spark management.

Which camshaft are you planning to use? I have reground cams with more lift and duration.

As to the unobtanium forged crankshaft, they're not necessary for your application. No one has ever broken a cast Packard crankshaft on the street.

Consider a direct reading O2 sensor as absolutely necessary for your application. You don't know how much you don't know about carburetors and superchargers until it's shown in real time.

jack vines

Posted on: 2022/3/14 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...He later fell off the radar completely.

Brian (BH), a couple of months ago, Eric (Turbopackman) consulted me on shortwave receivers. If someone needs his e-mail address, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Posted on: 2022/3/14 12:08
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved