Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Robert's 56 Patrician
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert
See User information
I might as well start a thread here on my '56 Patrician. I got it as a project, and it definitely has plenty to keep me busy.

On the immediate to-do list:

- Engine doesn't run.
- Have been told by the prior owner that reverse doesn't work.
-Trunk doesn't open.
- Parking brakes work, but the treadle vac booster seems to have failed.
- One headlight is out.
- Driver's window pane is broken.
- Interior has some moisture damage.
- Shocks and most rubber bits are toast.
- Needs a good top-to-bottom cleaning.

So far I've confirmed the motor turns and will crank with the ignition, but most cylinders have zero compression. Will pull valve covers to see if collapsed lifters are the issue and go from there. Now that the car is in my garage it's at least dry inside, and I've gotten the trunk by removing the back seat. Fortunately the trunk held an unexpected surprise: intact window glass for the garage door.

For now I'll be troubleshooting the various systems in the car to see what does and doesn't work. Then it'll be repairs, and maybe a modification or three.

Attach file:

jpg  662678278.jpg (167.59 KB)
225400_62322422ae214.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2022/3/16 12:53
- 1956 Patrician
- 1990 Miata - V8 swap under construction
- 2021 Civic Type R
- 2012 Yukon Denali - to tow the other three around
 Top  Print 

Re: Robert
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The body and paint don't look bad.

Posted on: 2022/3/16 16:55
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It looks like a very nice car to start with as a first!

Maybe before pulling off the valve covers, you could take out the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with oil. It will make a mess but crank in very tiny amounts to get it worked down into the cylinders where the pistons are up in the bore, then loosely screw in the spark plugs. Let it sit a week or two, the remove the plugs and crank out all the oil but place some towels on either side to catch the oil!

Try the compression test again to see if it helped. If it did and before you try to start it, change the oil and filter as you don't want to start it with whatever is in there now.

Before starting, clean and adjust the points as they likely have oxidization even if they otherwise look good. Fire it up! If it runs, it will smoke badly for a while from all the oil in the cylinders but it should burn off after a while. Just be sure you have plenty ventilation and maybe even a fan blowing.

Posted on: 2022/3/16 17:08
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...Don is right on the ball...He always is. One other thing to do is to use a small gallon or two can for fuel and feed it direct to the carburetor. Old gas is hard to start an engine with, and it can leave deposits that will damage an otherwise serviceable engine...I have seen old gas cause all the valves to stick after the engine runs with the stuff and then is shut down...and after a day or two will not run...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/3/16 18:20
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Robert,

Will be following along with interest as you resurrect your Patrician. Remember, plenty of photos as you document your journey.

Posted on: 2022/3/16 18:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Good afternoon...Don is right on the ball...He always is. One other thing to do is to use a small gallon or two can for fuel and feed it direct to the carburetor. Old gas is hard to start an engine with, and it can leave deposits that will damage an otherwise serviceable engine...I have seen old gas cause all the valves to stick after the engine runs with the stuff and then is shut down...and after a day or two will not run.

Thank you Ernie for your kind words. Not sure I'm always right but it's nice to hear anyway!

On old, bad fuel, I am one of those who had a 327 5-main get totally stuck by running it on old fuel that built up so much on the valve stems that one even bent trying to get it out! The engine would not turn over at all. You definitely need to use clean fuel from an external source until you get the car's own tank and fuel pump sorted out, making sure to check the steel lines for rust and thin areas and to replace the rubber hose to the fuel pump no matter how pliable it seems.

Posted on: 2022/3/16 20:31
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Hi Don...We all support each other ...that is what Packardinfo is all about...God knows Owen got tired of coaching me 10 years ago when Miss Prudence came to us...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/3/16 22:52
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 
Like (2)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
It looks like a very nice car to start with as a first!

Maybe before pulling off the valve covers, you could take out the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with oil. It will make a mess but crank in very tiny amounts to get it worked down into the cylinders where the pistons are up in the bore, then loosely screw in the spark plugs. Let it sit a week or two, the remove the plugs and crank out all the oil but place some towels on either side to catch the oil!

Try the compression test again to see if it helped. If it did and before you try to start it, change the oil and filter as you don't want to start it with whatever is in there now.

Before starting, clean and adjust the points as they likely have oxidization even if they otherwise look good. Fire it up! If it runs, it will smoke badly for a while from all the oil in the cylinders but it should burn off after a while. Just be sure you have plenty ventilation and maybe even a fan blowing.

Don,

I put some Marvel Mystery oil down the spark plug holes a day or two before I tried starting it in an attempt to alleviate stuck rings. The one or two cylinders that I've tested that made any compression seemed very healthy - my hope is that this all or nothing compression means the "dead" holes are either collapsed lifters, stuck valves, something easily addressed. I haven't actually tried to start it yet, but I'll attempt to start it on ether with the fuel line disconnected. I've got no reason to believe the fuel isn't unusable and plan to drain the tank and clean the fuel system. It appears a previous owner ran a new hard line from the tank to the engine compartment, it at least is in good condition.

My working assumption for reviving an older car that had sat for years is that any liquid or rubber involved in operating the car - so any fluids, flexible lines for brakes, coolant, fuel, etc., need to go.

Posted on: 2022/3/17 9:14
- 1956 Patrician
- 2021 Civic Type R
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Robert
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Robert,

Will be following along with interest as you resurrect your Patrician. Remember, plenty of photos as you document your journey.

First of all, thanks to everyone for the kind words, including your Mr. Starman.

If there's one thing I like doing, it's taking pictures. It's been a while since I spent real time on a forum, I need to relearn inserting images mid-post. I intend to post photos of the overall process, and step-by-step notes for specific processes in case they're of use for others down the road.

Posted on: 2022/3/17 9:19
- 1956 Patrician
- 2021 Civic Type R
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I need to relearn inserting images mid-post. I intend to post photos of the overall process, and step-by-step notes for specific processes in case they're of use for others down the road.

As far as I know, just like the old forum software, this new forum only allows photos at the end of typed commentary and does not directly have the ability to accept photos posted inline so the typed commentary continues on after the photo.

I believe the PAC forum will allow inline photos but on this forum I think the old procedure was to type your post in something like Office or Word that will allow inline photos and then when the item was finished and saved, copy and paste that entire response in the forum reply box. That procedure with or without photos was also the go to for a lengthy post or response where there was a chance the forum would time out before something was finished.

Not sure if that process still works with the new software but maybe BigKev could respond if correct or if there is another way.

Posted on: 2022/3/17 9:35
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved