Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 62

Caribbeandude, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

326 project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Back to my 326 project...
I was able to remove the pitman arm from the shaft with a pickle fork.
I noticed that there is an oil hole on the top of the arm, but no mention of it in the owner's manual for lubrication!
(our 526-309 also has the hole!)

Now I am trying to remove the column from the box because the pot metal bearing has fractured and apparently compressed the bronze bushing, clamping the shaft.

What I need to know is how is the worm gear secured to the shaft?

Also, if I drive the shaft up from the bottom, am I apt to bugger up something?

Would love to talk to anyone who has gone through this challenge.

Attach file:

jpg  20220306_173653.jpg (283.64 KB)
441_623697740931a.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  pitman arm.jpg (223.86 KB)
441_62369d4ac8469.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/3/19 22:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 326 project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Bob,
I'm not familiar with your car, so not sure what year you are dealing with. I just wanted to caution you though, before you try hammering the shaft up out of the box, as I know in my case ('39 Six) the worm gear is an integral part of the shaft; it doesn't come off. There will be replies no doubt, from the pros on here who know exactly what you're dealing with and I do realize that year to year and even with some same-year models, there are significant differences in the way things are put together with Packards, but I'm quite sure the 'fixed worm gear' was pretty common across a lot of steering boxes.
I got mine out the bottom of the car taking the end plate off the gearbox and took the whole assembly, shaft and steering box to the rebuilders. The bearings for mine were no longer available but the rebuild guys were able to machine and adapt some 30's Chevy bearings and rebuild my box with basically zero play. The mechanics of the R&R is certainly a 'contortionist's nightmare' though! Good luck. Chris.

Posted on: 2022/3/20 19:33
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: 326 project
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Given how few '26 and '27 models are in the registry here, I doubt you'll get a lot of info on this rather specific topic. Might try posting it on the Facebook Packard page. I do this forum, the Facebook page, and the Packard Club forum (which is pretty well dead).

I usually get more answers on Facebook, but, more generally correct answers here! Good luck brother!

Posted on: 2022/3/28 12:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved