Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

‘51-‘53 4dr sedans rear U-joint disassembly
Just popping in
Just popping in

Bailsout
See User information
My first post. Trying to rescue a. ‘53 200 with Ultramatic. The rear U-joint has two slotted caps with two flat opposing sides with about 1” open end wrench size. But I don’t think these caps are threaded based on looking at another differential and the joint has no female threads where the caps might fit. Never seen U-joints like this before. Hope someone can help. Thanks

Posted on: 2022/3/23 0:03
 Top  Print 

Re: ‘51-‘53 4dr sedans rear U-joint disassembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Hi There,

Here is an exploded view. It's one of the plates in the 48-54 parts book.

Rear Ultramatic U-Joint Exploded View, on Max Merrit Website

The slots in the parts labeled 18.042 are just to facilitate aligning the grooves where the big clips 18.0434, at the bottom and top of the picture, slide in. Replacement circlips are available from Max Merrit, Kanter, and I thought one of the regional Packard Clubs, but I cannot find which one right now.

To remove, you pull the big clips out, then press the caps to one side with a big C-Clamp or ball-joint press, fitting a large socket over the other end to allow the other cap to come out. Then if you need to take the other caps off, there are smaller c-clips (unfortunately also numbered 18.0434 in the picture, but to the left and right). Take those clips out and repeat.

Here is a thread where this was illustrated in detail:

Rear U-Joint Disassembly

Posted on: 2022/3/23 0:24
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bailsout
See User information
Jerome , thanks so much. It’s a good start. I still don’t get it but I haven’t looked at your references yet. On my way.
Dennis

Posted on: 2022/3/24 0:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Here is the Max Merrit listing for a replacement U-joint for most of the Clippers (e.g. 200) with Ultramatic. Click on the picture you will see the U-joint with the big clips, they go on the inside of the yoke to hold the caps on, typically the ends are bent over a little to keep them from coming out.

U-joint kit, rear, most Clippers 1951-54 with Ultramatic, Max Merritt

Posted on: 2022/3/24 0:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Note the large U-Joint clips, besides being offered by Max Merrit and Kanter, are also available for $10/set from Minnesota Packards, there is an ad in the Packard Cormorant magazine. wkempfert(AT)hotmail.com

Posted on: 2022/3/24 22:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved