Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 Packard cluster upgrade and shock bracket and suspension?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
I've been working on and off on my Packard as time and funds allowed. It's my Clipper Custom, not perfect but driven and enjoyed. Often looking to the day when the big plans come to play as I looked forward to retirement "someday"
Really enjoy looking and educating myself with the knowledge base found here. You guys here are awesome.

Being from the East Coast and living close to the Bay, I suffered damage to my Packard with Super Storm Sandy. My Clipper took the backburner as rebuilding my home and family life became priority.
Now living far from any shore, my Clipper has become my parts car and i've since acquired a 55 Clipper Super (standard suspension) about 6yrs ago, My blank canvas. Again. working on it as time\funds allowed.
Life on the other hand has different plans. So I'm now in the HERE and NOW Just redirection of objectives and my desire to have MY Ride.

SO here it is:
My I'd like to do's

1- Was attempting to change my shocks on the Super and found two different units installed. The right lower look like a makeshift bracket. I've been looking for the right lower shock bracket, so any help with a part number or if anyone has one available for a 55 super? the only info i found was for a 51-54 clipper 419667. (can that be used?) While looking at the suspension.... here my idea... the power steering system from the Custom to the Super. Feasible?

2- Super has no interior but I got that, however, the Dash cluster is my obstacle.
Mechanically I hold my own. I have NO electrical savvy. IS there a plug n play Guage system that is available? I really prefer to Numbers and Dummy lights! My intention was to simply use the cluster from the Custom but that become a rusted seized mess with knobs that don't turn, move or pull.

3- the Super locks when in Park and Ive looked the linkage info found here. Anyone have a high resolution pics how to I have to print in Big fonts (yay me!)

I'm sure I'll have many more inquiries... but figured I'd start with these.
Any info, direction, suggestion greatly appreciated. I've lurked here behind the scenes for some time. Time to update my profile!

Attach file:

jpg  51-54 Packard Front Shock Bracket 419667.jpg (339.73 KB)
858_623f0850dfc49.jpg 1599X1200 px

Posted on: 2022/3/26 7:35
 Top  Print 

Re: 55 Packard cluster upgrade and shock bracket and suspension?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
While waiting for the real experts, the parts book shows that the part number 419667 fits only 1951 through 1954 as you surmised and I have never replaced the shocks on my own 1956 Custom but I seem to recall that on it the lower bracket came with or was somehow part of the shock. Maybe simply taking it into a Napa store can help get it sorted out.

You might find a good used instrument gauge from one of the dealers such as Mike Dulinsky who specializes in the 1955-1956 Packards and has many parts cars. There are no after market plug-and-play clusters.

Posted on: 2022/3/26 18:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
For swapping the cluster, yes there are a lot of wires, but just connect the new ones to where the old ones were that are the same color and went to the same place, assuming the new one comes with leads. Even if not, you connect each wire to its same component old -> new. A bit easier said than done of course but I wouldn't worry too much. Just take lots of pictures as stuff comes apart, and use colored tape to differentiate wires that have the same color.

Posted on: 2022/3/26 18:41
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Yeah, I would've had I had the opportunity. but this is what I'm working with on my Super. the Dash is empty and I see no labeled wires... (its how i received the car)

That's why I'm wondering is anyone out there has used any after market items. Wiring is not my strong suite. Dash has to get dropped to reinstall the gauges cluster when i get that far. Looks like an involved process!

Attach file:

jpg  cluster.jpg (108.90 KB)
858_624034e9d93b0.jpg 1080X810 px

Posted on: 2022/3/27 4:57

keep 'em guessing with a smile...
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
The gauges on my Custom don't light, was hoping to use them, but it my be the wires are corroded like the knobs. I'll have to get behind the dash and have closer look. I have to take all the trim and mesh plate off to put on the Super when i get that far. (the list grows...)

Posted on: 2022/3/27 5:09

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Get the wiring schematic.

Posted on: 2022/3/27 5:58
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Schematic and a reproduction harness which will be properly color coded and marked. If you try using an aftermarket harness, it would take lots of electrical knowledge that would even challenge me and I’m good at that sort of thing!

Posted on: 2022/3/27 15:10
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Thanks Riki, I've D/L the PDF and plan on studying well!

Really hoping to be able to use the gauges from the Custom.

Posted on: 2022/3/27 16:42

Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Thanks Don

Posted on: 2022/3/27 16:44

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If you’re changing from a cluster with lights to one with gauges, you’ll also likely have to change the senders on the engine. Senders for lights behave differently than senders for gauges.

Posted on: 2022/3/27 16:51
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved