Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

Re: Resurrecting my 56’ Patrician
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Just dropped the gas tank and removed the sending unit. Bottom line, this tank was never cleaned and sealed as I was led to believe. The pickup tube is totally blocked, and the tank has seen better days. So, I just ordered a new tank and sending unit from Kanter. Another member suggested this awhile back and I truly believe it is the path to take. Waiting on more parts, meanwhile there is a lot of chrome to polish. The previous owner did have a small piece of copper wire twisted around the sending unit hold down ring, and the other end to a body ground. Is this something I need to re-create? And do I need to paint or treat the exterior of the new tank prior to installation?
Thanks

Posted on: 2022/5/9 16:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
The tank comes painted inside and out. It is well made. Sometimes the sending unit can benefit from an additional path to ground. I would recommend that you at least attach a grounding wire to the holding ring and leave plenty of excess hanging out the rear of tank after you install it. If you need it, it's there. It's not fun dropping a tank over and over. Ask me how I know.

Kevin

Posted on: 2022/5/9 18:44
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Received the gas tank Friday, but haven’t installed it yet. The hose connection from the old tank is definitely aftermarket and does not appear to have the right thread. Next week I will take the tank to my local parts store and find the correct fitting fuel nipple, plus a new gas cap. I did install the rear shocks from KYB. While I was under the car, I noted a little wetness on the bottom of the differential cover. My thought is before I install the tank, to remove the cover, drain the fluid, inspect the gears, and install a new gasket and fluid. 1st thought is where to buy the gasket and what type of fluid. I will read my manual for the later. Also thought it best to wire brush and clean the cover prior to removal. FYI the cardboard box the tank came in, made laying on the gravel a lot easier.

Attach file:

jpg  20220522_164212.jpg (457.66 KB)
225242_628aaf1d928d6.jpg 1920X1920 px

jpg  20220522_164218.jpg (443.99 KB)
225242_628aaf2f9bf5e.jpg 1920X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/5/22 16:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Originally my car had the hard fuel line going directly to the tank, but it made it very hard to properly align the nut to thread into the tank without crossthreading it. The old fuel line was extremely stiff and would not flex at all.

I found it was much easier to cut off the original flare and nut, then use a short piece of flexible fuel line between the old hard fuel line and a new flare and nut. Much easier to line it up and thread it into the tank correctly. I ended up using fuel-rated thread sealant as well.

Posted on: 2022/5/22 17:31
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
Hadn't thought of that. As you can see in the photo, someone already cut the original fuel line.

Thanks, I'll do that

Posted on: 2022/5/22 17:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Adding the flex hose and taking advantage of that interrupted spot in the line to add an electric pump has also been done by many.

Posted on: 2022/5/22 18:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Marvin
See User information
O’Reilly’s auto parts, provided the gasket for the differential and gear oil (85-140). The reason I stopped was realizing the depth of my ignorance. I reviewed the “Packard Service Manual” but failed to answer my questions. Mostly it covered how to repair the internal components of the differential. It also stated that the fluid should be changed annually.
Before I begin loosening bolts, I would like to know a few things.
1. The plug the arrow is pointing to, seems to be the only plug front and back. Is this the check level / fill plug?
2. It’s been a few years since I checked a differential for fluid capacity. I seem to recall, removing the fill plug, and sticking my finger in to check to see that oil was at the bottom of the hole. Is this correct?
3. What else should I look for when the cover is off?
My thought process is that this is a 66-year-old car and I have no way of knowing if any maintenance was done and when. As always, your patience and guidance is extremely appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  20220321_183144 with arrow.jpg (335.37 KB)
225242_6294dc9903c19.jpg 1920X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/5/30 10:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Marvin wrote:
O’Reilly’s auto parts, provided the gasket for the differential and gear oil (85-140). The reason I stopped was realizing the depth of my ignorance. I reviewed the “Packard Service Manual” but failed to answer my questions. Mostly it covered how to repair the internal components of the differential. It also stated that the fluid should be changed annually.
Before I begin loosening bolts, I would like to know a few things.
1. The plug the arrow is pointing to, seems to be the only plug front and back. Is this the check level / fill plug?
2. It’s been a few years since I checked a differential for fluid capacity. I seem to recall, removing the fill plug, and sticking my finger in to check to see that oil was at the bottom of the hole. Is this correct?
3. What else should I look for when the cover is off?
My thought process is that this is a 66-year-old car and I have no way of knowing if any maintenance was done and when. As always, your patience and guidance is extremely appreciated.

1.) Yes, this is the plug to fill and to check level. (To drain the rear axle, you have to remove the rear cover.)
2.) Yes, that is how you check the fluid level.
3.) Metal filings/bits/chunks, evidence of water (milky/milkshake looking fluid), inspect the gear teeth, etc.

Is your front pinion seal leaking? If you are going to drain the rear axle fluid, that would be a good time to change that seal if it's leaking.

Other rear axle maintenance concerns would the the axle bearings, and axle seals. These require the rear drums to be removed so are more easily done when doing rear brake work.

Posted on: 2022/5/30 10:42
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also make sure the air vent is not plugged. Not sure if Packard used the same vent system on the 56 Dana rears as they did in earlier Packard built units but if so, look at the bolt holding the brake tube brass junction block on top of the left axle tube. If it has a crimped on metal cap over the bolt head that is probably a vent. Make sure cap is somewhat loose but still well attached. If there is no cap then the cap might be missing or vent may be somewhere else. Others more familiar with Dana axles can say where else to check.

Even if just a bare bolt holding the brass block I would say check anyway for possibility it is a vent and the cap might have been removed or fallen off. Look for a drilled passage thru the center of the bolt head. If there is a hole make sure it is open. Plugged vents have allowed heated lube in the differential to create enough pressure oil is forced out of seals.

Posted on: 2022/5/30 11:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Make sure the gear oil is GL-5.

Posted on: 2022/5/30 17:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved