Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Great Packards at Auction, PLEASE READ
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
I suspect they will far about as well as the great hydrogen powered car "cure" for dirty air California promoted some years back

I can’t speak for Fresno where Howard lives but in Silicon Valley, hydrogen cars are relatively common-place and being built by several mainline carmakers. They are EVs but are fillable quickly just like a petrol-powered vehicle is.

Also, once the battery technology improves and we move toward lithium-metal chemistry, charging will be extremely fast, range will double and the fear of fires will be gone.

Posted on: 2022/4/7 15:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
JW,
You were missed at Salado.

Someone told me that EV cars are not recommended to be stored in your garage, did you hear any of this?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2022/03/02/electric-car-fire-risks-look-exaggerated-but-more-data-required-for-definitive-verdict/?sh=755cceb12327

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWq-Mq1Uqpw

Thanks, Michael. I missed being at Salado. One of the more rewarding experiences I had when living in Austin. Pleased to learn it's back in Salado. Hope you all had a most enjoyable and successful meet. Is anyone going to post some photo about it here? Love to see them.

Having my MINI SE EV in the garage did give me some concern. I did install a smoke detector to give us some warning. I feel safe about it being in the garage, probably no more chance of fire than with a gas fueled vehicle. I recharge the batteries on the 110 house current. I don't feel the need for a quicker 220 outlet. Also, my plan is to not run the batteries below 20% and not charge higher than 80%. I think this is a good and moderate operating range for my needs. MINI does not recommend using the super quick charging stations. They caution regular use may shorten battery life and may cause damage to them. Okay for an urgent/emergency need, but not for regular use.

Posted on: 2022/4/8 10:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Interesting views to say the least.
I was reading a book on the "disappeared" pre-depression auto companies and all the same things that are being said here about EVs were said 100+ years ago. Not much progress in 100 years but beau coup hype.
If the "anticarbon-ites" were "serious", octane is 84% carbon, ethanol is 54.5% but one has to use ~25% more ethanol for the same energy.
Thermodynamics says, electric will consume more energy, not less, due to it's high "quality". It's the spent energy sent to the environment(heat sink) that's at issue, not the rate of cooling. CO2 is only present at ~400 ppm, where water which is more potent is in percentages. Methane is in ppbs, so immaterial. They're not selling "science" and UN is the pusher.

No one can predict the future, the further out, the less certainty that can be achieved. There's mathematical reasons for that.
The batteries in use are lithium and the electrolyte is flammable, and very high energy density, that's what causes the fires. If you increase the range, you have to increase the energy density and thus the risk. Like fueling your "P" with TNT... They have developed solid state electrolyte that's avoids that but has been slow to appear. Your cell phone has basically the same battery and why the samsungs were flaming a while back. If you take one apart, you'll find it's in a plastic bag and pliable and lots of carbon.
Hydrogen power was touted when I was in grade school, which is >60 years ago and never really could be mastered because of the universal properties of hydrogen. Lowest molecular weight element so requires high pressures for any substantial amount. Also produces waste heat and water vapor same as carbon fuels.
I worked on lithium electrolytes and membranes for hydrogen fuel cells nearly 20 year ago now, so it's a slower curve than the sales people/media claim.

Posted on: 2022/4/8 17:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Supposedly the dozen largest cargo ships generate more pollution than all of the automobiles running around the world today.

Conservation of energy dictates that unless the car is solar powered it has a negative environmental effect. The pollution from manufacturing is being ignored as well.

The automakers like EV because the cost of compliance for ICE is killing the bottom line. And supposedly there is lot of lithium ore sitting on the ocean floor.

The car business is as backwards as a mule's behind. You have middle school dropouts in management positions and Phd's being crapped on. The dregs gravitate to it like flies to a dog kennel. It's an upside corporate value structure. Sure, there is lots of technology being purchased from vendors, but corporate cultures seldom change (which is backward in itself). The result is that the business is weak and vulnerable to political manipulation.

Posted on: 2022/4/9 13:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
Supposedly the dozen largest cargo ships generate more pollution than all of the automobiles running around the world today.

Conservation of energy dictates that unless the car is solar powered it has a negative environmental effect. The pollution from manufacturing is being ignored as well.

The largest cargo ships emit the smallest amount emission per ton of cargo moved. Take for example the Ever Given that got stuck last year in the Suez canal. It has 79,000 hp and moves over 210,000 (metric) tonnes. Roughly figure 1/3 hp per ton of product moved. Try to get that done with over the road trucking. Water transport is the cheapest and environmentally the best way to move cargo.
Ev's might look like not having any emissions but most energy in this country is not "green" energy. So your EV is basically coal powered. Now have you seen what a lithium mine looks like with children mining product with a life expectancy of about 15 years to get the lithium ore for your precious tesla? Have you any idea what we are going to do with all the lithium batteries that are obsolete? There's no way to economically recycle them (at least at this point). Washington (both R's &D's, not trying to get political here) have been pushing EV's for the fact that it is an control mechanism, it has nothing to do with environment. They dont even believe their own bilge. When they need to get their private jets to receive an award for being such an environmental heavyweight and they fly thousands of miles to receive the award (I'm looking at you John Kerry and leo DiCaprio) but they try to tell us as pee-ons what we should or shouldn't do for the environment... Hollywood & politicians have 1 moto: do as we say not as we do.

We all know what politics mean:
Poli is latin for many
Tics are those little blood sucking creatures...

Now it's time to go back for our regular Packard broadcasting.

Posted on: 2022/4/9 15:28
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 
Laugh (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I can see that the excitement on these cars is electrifying...please note these cars will only be available for a few more days.
Just a friendly reminder, should you have any particular questions that I may be able to answer, please don't wait until the last day. Thank you.

Posted on: 2022/4/10 22:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I wasn't talking fuel used per ton mile, only gross emissions. The point is the politics is centered around the car business because it is so backward. I don't hear anybody squawking about air conditioning use. 50% of my electric bill is running the refrigerator.

Posted on: 2022/4/11 10:59
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
Tim Cole, u cant turn off the AC ,u want someone lose weight, AC cars,AC house,AC restaurants ,i would be more concerned about the exhaust that falls to the ground from those big jet airplanes ,thats just a high grade diesel fuel,and if anyone thinks the fed gov. or state gov.is going give up there gasoline tax, for EV,s
there dreaming ,there going get the money somehow

Posted on: 2022/4/11 19:08
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Hello Flackmaster, I was wondering on car #3 the 1935 Pierce Arrow, would the hubcaps, the medallion that goes on the bottom of the grill shell, the radiator ornament the "Archer", and the headlight lenses be included with the purchase? I spoke with one of the attendants at the viewing and he mentioned someone connected with the auction has them? If not included, are they available for purchase afterwards? These are very difficult parts to find that's why I'm asking?

Posted on: 2022/4/12 11:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Looks like everything sold except for the forlorn little Pacific coupe.

Wat managed to contain his enthusiasm.

Posted on: 2022/4/15 10:44
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved