Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Great Packards at Auction, PLEASE READ
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
They got some pretty high prices for some of those cars i was surprised to see what some of them brought especially without titles But im happy for the man’s family that owned the cars

Posted on: 2022/4/15 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah, I'm surprised that that 39 120 sold for almost 30k even without a title. But it does seem to be an original unrestored car and in good shape overall. Back seat looks almost brand new from 85 years ago.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2022/4/15 15:37
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
I was surprised by the prices most of the vehicles brought, especially when factoring in the 22% buyer's premium. I was interested in the 1937 120 Convertible Coupe and drove over 7 hours to see the collection. This car was definitely not as advertised. I don't know who Eugene Cohen is, but for a supposedly expert restoration, I found a lot of issues. Going over the car with a magnet, I detected large areas of body filler in the lower doors, quarter panels and rear pan below the rumble seat. Body filler was visibly bubbling up around the front fender strut on the passenger side. The paint was cracking in large areas around the rumble seat area. The underside of the car was crudely painted with POR-15 over sheet metal that was visibly pitted. I could see brush marks. POR-15 is pretty nasty stuff. Once it dries, it is virtually impossible to remove. It should not be used on an authentic restoration as it is much too glossy for chassis parts. I also found rust in the inner rocker panels between the door and rear fenders and was actually able to stick my hand inside and pull out a handful of rust. Much of the chrome was either poorly plated or had not been replated at all. The comorant hood ornament looked like it had been sandblasted. The headlight trim spears were badly pitted, and they had just chromed over the pits. The hubcaps were not restored and had numerous dings and small cracks. None of the rubber components had been replaced and were all dried out and cracked, especially the running board covers. The wiring looked original to the car, and I saw sections of modern PVC coated spliced in as crude repairs. Inside, the dash was not wood grained, the glove compartment box and the cigarette lighter were missing, none of the interior trim pieces had been rechromed and paint was flaking off of the instruments. The tires were shot, and it looked like the entire exhaust system will need to be replaced. I could go on. At a hammer price of $52,250, plus 22%, this was way over the mark. I was much more impressed with some of the other cars in the collection. The 1939 Rollson town car and the 1938 Super 8 Limo were outstanding original cars. I could not believe how nice the interiors were. Sitting in the back of the Rollson, I felt like royalty. I also really liked the 1926 Pierce. A very beautiful original car. These three were probably the best deals of the day. Not so much on the others.

Posted on: 2022/4/16 9:32
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I never heard of this Eugene Cohen, but there are a lot of "alternative facts" floating around Packards.

I'm not a big fan of the super durable paints because the cars don't see much use anyway. The one exception I will make is that base coat clear coat resists gasoline better than anything.

With all of the inflation restoring cars is an area of great uncertainty. I was at a meeting and was dismissed as nuts when I mentioned the real inflation rate is somewhere between 10-15%. Last week the rigged government number came out at 12%. They also said I was nuts when I predicted over 500,000 US dead from COVID. I agree, only not the way they thought - I was way too low!

I think the Central Bankers will destroy currencies rather than have stock prices reflect realistic valuations. Germany did that in the 1920's and then stocks fell 99% under the NAZIs. The present destruction of our nation's currency is not doubt fueling some of these asset prices.

Posted on: 2022/4/16 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

54packpac
See User information
4/15/22 C. Louis Abelove Phase 2 Tally. Clinton, NY. Safe to open. Forum does not accept xlsx format. Uploaded as xls.

Attach file:

xls 041522clouisabelovephase2clintonny.xls Size: 18.23 KB; Hits: 118

Posted on: 2022/5/2 16:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved