Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Lead on Four Packard Twelves.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
My gut reaction was $20K, assuming that I don't have to pay anyone to haul all of it home. It's five trips anyway with a truck and trailer, and 3/4s of the way across the country at that.

If it's an ROI that you're looking for, you'd likely do as well stopping off in Vegas for an evening of blackjack.

Those cars are one huge pile of work.

Posted on: 2022/3/30 4:22
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I think Fred would look good in a V-12....

Posted on: 2022/3/30 8:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Pre-war & wood not my tea, worth the peek.

I was more impressed with those sturdy storage racks. Not your big box or chinese take out variety.
Easier to take apart and "store" than move, fix, and put back together*. They should pay U to cart it all off and still get buyer's remorse.
One of the vagaries of the sport. People hoard or sit on stuff and never do anything with it and it does not appreciate that way. ie, wants vs needs.
* - I still got a box of used parts I took off scrappers, that have no use and I've been carting them around for 50 years...
Motivating to get the '49 moving again. The Caddie work keeps getting in the way. I need to get back to one. I want both?

Posted on: 2022/3/30 9:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I'll throw in my 2 cents being in the midst of a similar situation. Good luck finding one buyer. Most hopeful scenario is to segregate into several lots, two town cars with all necessary parts, conv. Sedan same, 38 same, and
then segregate a few lots of other parts AND AND AND be capable of crating those parts for potential freight shipment. Without this effort, its going to be an ....ummm...disappointment.

By the way, I have another/similar V12 "deal" available, 38 Brunn and a partially disassembled 39 sedan with it. West Coast. Got a big trailer with a winch?

Posted on: 2022/3/30 9:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
kevinpackard:

Re your interest in how the rear of the roof especially around the window was fabricated from wood, here's a photo of a Rollston Duesenberg owned by Richie Fass at the time (Stone Barn restorations, Vienna NJ) showing a similar method of construction.

Attach file:

jpg  Fass Duesy by Rollston.jpg (279.90 KB)
177_62446724d663a.jpg 1920X1315 px

Posted on: 2022/3/30 9:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I wonder how far along that car is? He's had it for so long. I recall people of lesser character telling me it was a fake and just a VIN plate. One of the reasons I like to stay home.

Posted on: 2022/3/30 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Unbelievable what so many collectors do to their cars and how they overwhelm themselves with multiple insurmountable projects!

Reading on the AACA Forum, just a thorough rebuild of a Twelve engine runs $50K-60K currently. To that, add for restoration of all other aspects of each car another $250K-300K. Grand total of between $2M-$3M would be the bill to return these Packard to the road in factory condition.

What a shame, that is highly unlike to ever happen. Yes, these cars were saved from the scrapper but to no good end.

Steve

Posted on: 2022/3/31 11:31
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you think that situation is bad, I knew someone who bought 35 Packard Eight town car with less than 8,000 miles on it. All you had to do was dust it off because it lived in a heated garage in Manhattan.

He also had a 35 low mileage Eight convertible victoria. Oh, but he wanted a Twelve so he cut up the town car for the chassis. He cut up the Victoria for the body. Everything else was scrapped. What he ended up with was a piece of junk because it had town car rear springing and Packard Eight front springing. It drove like garbage, but it ran great because I did the tuning. I saw a magazine clip where they stated - "It starts instantly hot or cold."

Things like that are why Turnquist cried the blues about town cars being cut up in his book. Once upon a time there were a lot of 25-32 Packard town cars. Almost all gone now.

Duesenberg town cars have faired a lot better. That supercharged town car above with the raked windshield is Rollston at their finest.

Put the picture below on a Supercharged Duesenberg chassis and you have it.

Attach file:

jpg  1934 Packard Twelve All-Weather Town Car with custom coachwork by Rollston.jpg (132.51 KB)
373_62461a654b832.jpg 1252X803 px

Posted on: 2022/3/31 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I'm surprised to read all the pessimism!
Those two LeBarons look sad, but all it takes is someone with a dream, lots of patience, time, energy, and elbow grease...and, yes, a few bucks.

You pick up one piece at a time, look at it and say, "I can fix this!"
You do it 500 times and then you find the right bolts to put parts together.
Eventually you will have a very functional
Packard that you can enjoy driving down a country lane...smug as heck at having fulfilled your dream.

Not all people are into the judging scene. Some folk are just happy to enjoy saving a rare Packard.

I've been down that road but now too old to tackle another project.

The LeBarons are extremely rare cars and deserve to be saved.

Attach file:

jpg  Lazarus300dpi.jpg (191.56 KB)
441_6246870f6420a.jpg 1920X1403 px

jpg  OFFICIAL Lap Photos800.jpg (88.26 KB)
441_6246872779e3e.jpg 800X533 px

Posted on: 2022/3/31 23:49
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
What I was told: The owner has had a bad stroke. Son is selling. The 1936 All-Weather cabriolet was purchased as a complete car. It is the one that was being restored. Engine done, but not completely put together (heads still off). The other three cars were apparently purchased in "already torn apart" condition. Perhaps as parts cars.

Individual prices on the cars:

1935 convertible sedan - $39k

1936 all weather cab $59k

1937 all weather cab -$35k

1938 club sedan- $8500

Extra parts shelves are separate.

Posted on: 2022/4/1 9:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved