Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1951 ,thunderbolt 327 help
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jorge Cardozo
See User information
Hi everyone,i need help in removing the camshaft on my 51 ,327.
thks

Posted on: 2022/3/30 16:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 ,thunderbolt 327 help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just the highlights from memory, I last did this about 40 years ago. Hopefully someone with recent experience will give current practice.

In a nutshell, remove the cylinder head and all the valves and springs. If hydraulic lifters you may need to remove the plunger assemblies. Lift up the cam followers (tappet bodies) off the cam and secure with clothes pins, string, rubber bands, or similar. Remove the oil pump. Remove the radiator and just for convenience, the fan. Remove the vibration damper and then the timing chain cover. Remove the cam sprocket and chain. Beneath the cam sprocket is the camshaft retainer plate - remove it. When I did my 1954 Patrician I was able to wiggle the engine just enough to slide the cam out without removing the grille, hopefully you'll be able to as well.

I've probably forgotten a few details but its a very straight forward job. Enjoy!

Posted on: 2022/3/30 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
That seems about right.

For hydraulic lifters you would take the "plungers" out. Others might have another opinion, but from what I understand this would be a good time to disassemble and clean them (though do not mix-and-match parts between different plungers).

Then lift the "tappets" up and hold them with clothespins or what-have-you.

If you have to take the grille off it's not as hard as it looks at first glance. Just a lot of fasteners.

You want one of those "flathead-style" valve-spring compressors:
Flathead-Style valve spring compressor

You can conceivably do this job without taking the intake manifolds off, you can get to the valve covers from the right-hand side by taking off the right-side tire and then the inside fender cover, as in the Speedwell Garage You-tube video for adjusting a Packard Straight-8 valves.

Speedwell Garage Flathead Straight-8 Valve Adjustment

Posted on: 2022/3/30 18:18
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jorge Cardozo
See User information
Thanks guys for all your responses i've forgot to explain that the engine is out,and everything else , but the camshaft has been removed,i don't know how to identfy the differents lifters,in the next few days,i'll post pictures.
thks.

Posted on: 2022/3/30 21:20
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jorge Cardozo
See User information
Pics.

Attach file:

jpg  20220409_191154.jpg (310.54 KB)
196885_62532ed0a2e64.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/4/4 23:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
your pictures didn't come through. You need to click on the icon that says "images" and then upload each image separately.

Here is the illustrated part plate for your year. The picture shows the hydraulic lifters, but the solid lifter situation looks similar.

You can look up the specific part # from the parts book itself or use the "Factory Parts List" in the bar to the left.

Camshaft and Valvetrain 288/327/359 illustration from Packards Parts Book

Posted on: 2022/4/5 12:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jorge Cardozo
See User information
pic#2

Attach file:

jpg  20220409_191239.jpg (192.79 KB)
196885_62532f6eb5894.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/4/10 14:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jorge Cardozo
See User information
Finally i was able to upload the pics,i wanted to show,now how do i remove the retainer litle piece in the front ofthe camshaft??

Posted on: 2022/4/10 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
In the illustration above
I believe what you are talking about is is 5.0110 "spacer". You shouldn't have to remove that, it should come out with the camshaft.

Posted on: 2022/4/10 15:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You have the desirable solid lifters. Your actual camshaft retainer has already been removed. All you will need to do to remove the camshaft is turn the engine upside down so all of the lifters are away from the cam and then just twist and pull it out.

Posted on: 2022/4/10 16:33
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved