Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Anyone have 5 feet of 1/4-inch copper-nickel tubing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
That's more than we need to reform some brake line. NAPA and others can order it, but we've gotta buy a 25-foot reel. Otherwise, all they have in stock is steel tubing with copper plating.
Steel tubing was fine for a century. But copper nickel alloy more malleable, and stronger, counterintuitive as that may seem.
Many thanks. Please PM.

Posted on: 2022/4/12 17:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Anyone have 5 feet of 1/4-inch copper-nickel tubing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
How about this? I used this it is great. It's in stock at the stores around here:

Autozone 1/4" NiCopp tubing x 60" with 7/16-24 Inverted Flare Thread Tube Nuts

Posted on: 2022/4/12 17:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
That roll's only about a $40-50 bill? You'll spend half that in postage.
They charge extra for oversize.

Most NAPAs have a compartment bin with standard length brake tubings in stock. Other parts stores keep it in the back/have to ask for it. I buy these all the time for short bends. You get factory ends so half the work to flare. They have the regular coated steel and the green soft stuff. I think I did the P in the green stuff.
I buy piece stock from onlinemetals.com when I need something "exotic" and don't want to buy a whole length because leftovers accumulate. Locally, I'm not in a good place for garage supplies. I'll take the truck and get a load of steel, and then trip over it for a year or two and always run out of the most used size.

Posted on: 2022/4/13 10:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can’t imagine using plain copper line for brakes as it’s too soft and possibly not DOT approved either for that very reason. Of course, whatever you use and if you do any flaring, don’t forget that it needs double flares to prevent cracking at the edges.

Posted on: 2022/4/13 11:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
From the product description. I and many others have used this stuff with great success:

1/4 In. x 60 In. copper/nickel/iron alloy tubing NiCopp is a nickel-copper alloy brake tubing that meets SAE standard J1047 and ISO 4038; meeting all international and U.S. requirements for brake tubing. This alloy is approximately 9.2% nickel, 1.4% iron, 0.8% manganese, and 88.6% copper. Under the ins system, this alloy is designated as ins C70600. NiCopp therefore has the strength and structural integrity of steel lines but with the added benefit of being much more corrosion resistant. NiCopp is also easier to bend and form than steel tubing. Nickel-copper, commonly referred to as 90-10 copper, has been used on several European vehicle brake systems since the 1970's, including: Volvo, Audi, Porsche, and Aston martin. NiCopp has been used on hydraulic/fluid transfer systems on vehicles where steel lines and tubing are commonly used. This includes brake, fuel and transmission systems. NiCopp is considered the super-premium brand in brake lines and should be considered where the under body of the vehicle is subjected to the harshest environments, where the longest life-span for lines is required, and/or where direct OEM replacement is desired. - NiCopp does not rust or corrode - dot approved for hydraulic brake systems - bends 58% easier than steel tubing - available in coils of 25 Ft., 50 Ft., and 100 Ft. - finished lines available for domestic & import - black oxide fittings 2X corrosion resistance. NiCopp lines and tubing meet the following specifications: SAEJ1047, ISO 4038, SAEJ1650, DIN 74234, BS2871

Posted on: 2022/4/13 13:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
https://brakesystems.autopartsu.com/2020/08/24/nickel-copper-pros-and-cons/

Quote:
You need new brake lines for your vehicle but choosing the best type can feel overwhelming thanks to the numerous options available. Not only do you have traditional steel brake lines, but also stainless steel, PVF-coated, and nickel-copper. Like any other material, nickel-copper brake lines have their pros and cons to consider, as highlighted below.

RESISTS RUST AND CORROSION
If you live in the rust belt of the U.S. or live close to the ocean, then you know how quickly unprotected steel can succumb to rust. Brake lines are especially vulnerable by virtue of their location underneath the vehicle and constant exposure to moisture, grime, snow, and road salt. It doesn’t take long for traditional steel brake lines to rust out and cause leaks that jeopardize the rest of the brake system, not to mention vehicle safety.

Zinc and PVF coatings offer moderate protection against rust, but total protection requires an entirely different material. While steel lacks inherent rust and corrosion resistance, brake lines made from nickel-copper alloy offer that protection in spades. Made from a mix of around 90-percent copper and 10-percent nickel for added strength, nickel-copper brake lines are practically impervious to rust and highly resistant against corrosion.

Nickel-copper brake lines aren’t just a sensible rust-free option, but also one that offers superior longevity under a variety of road conditions when compared with traditional steel brake lines.

EASY TO BEND AND FLARE
Bending and flaring brake lines takes work, especially if you’re new to fabricating your own. Ordinary steel brake lines can be a bit troublesome to properly bend and flare. Stainless steel lines are often the most difficult to work with thanks to the hardness of the material. Having a brake line that’s easy to manipulate with basic brake line tools can help you get through any project faster.

Nickel-copper alloy is much softer than traditional steel, making it easier to manipulate than other types of brake line material. But the relative softness of nickel-copper doesn’t make it weak. The nickel part of the nickel and copper composition gives it the strength to withstand the bending you’ll do as you run your new brake line in the right spots. This makes nickel-copper a dream for novices to work with.

COSTS MORE THAN STEEL BRAKE LINES
Good materials don’t come cheap, and nickel-copper brake lines are no exception. Depending on where you buy it, you can expect to pay significantly more for brake lines made from nickel-copper alloy when compared to non-coated and zinc-coated steel lines. Nickel-copper brake lines may only run slightly higher than lines made from stainless steel, in some cases. The upside, however, is that nickel-copper brake lines last longer than their steel counterparts, meaning you won’t have to replace them as often.

EASIER TO ACCIDENTALLY DAMAGE
Nickel-copper brake lines are remarkably easy to bend, but they’re also easier to damage during installation. You can easily put creases or dents where you don’t want them if you’re not careful, especially if you’re using brake pliers or similar tools to make tight bends. Sealing nickel-copper brake lines also requires less torque than traditional steel lines, making it easier to crush flares with tube nuts by accident. A gentle touch comes in handy when plumbing your new nickel-copper brake lines.

Posted on: 2022/4/13 13:46
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Thank you, all. Jerome and Wat nail it.
Copper-nickel alloy is stronger than steel. Found a place in my neck of the woods selling it by the foot, so off the hook. If any of your friends in the SF/Oakland/Berkeley greater Bay Area, may i encourage them to:
Royal Brass & Hose
421 N Buchanan Cir #18, Pacheco, CA 94553
925) 682-5200

As always, when i find a heads up, reasonable business catering to the likes of us, believe in singing their praises, else we've no one to blame but ourselves when we're left with empty big boxes. Royal reworks drum as well as disc brakes, every fitting you can envision.

Meanwhile, may Gaia, Great Spirit, God, Zeus, Minerva, Mr. and Mrs. America and all the ships at sea protect NAPA, one of the only national chains left bothering to help old car folk.

Prosit.

Posted on: 2022/4/14 20:55
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved