Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

What red for interior or 41 120 convertible
Just popping in
Just popping in

Terry
See User information
I want to replace the black interior of my black 1941 one-twenty convertible club couple with red. It has a off white top and I have seen several pictures which I like with same only red interior. I want the best leather that is correct in color and material. Hirsh has some leather but they do not know if it I correct or not here is a sample but can anyone give me some direction on this?

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  Hirsh dark red.jpg (218.92 KB)
225354_625f036ccf4c8.jpg 1920X1530 px

Posted on: 2022/4/19 13:46
 Top  Print 

Re: What red for interior or 41 120 convertible
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Looks right to me.

Attach file:

jpg  2OrigLeather.jpg (106.96 KB)
1067_625f061713ee7.jpg 864X648 px

jpg  sukirearwindowseat.jpg (57.50 KB)
1067_625f0679c93b2.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2022/4/19 13:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't really trust how colors display on different monitors but for what its worth, here are the leather choices out of the 41 paint and upholstery book. On my system they appear to have scanned fairly accurately.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0005.jpg (119.80 KB)
209_625f112e63c39.jpg 1270X560 px

jpg  IMG_0006.jpg (125.32 KB)
209_625f113746ea9.jpg 1255X559 px

Posted on: 2022/4/19 14:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Terry
See User information
Thanks but do you know a good supplier of the red you show?

Posted on: 2022/4/21 20:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Try SMS in Oregon as they have about everything.

Posted on: 2022/4/22 2:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Depends on how strict you want to be, but the trim catalog also is showing which paint colors had a given leather color available, and what dash plastic color was used. I'm surprised to see that the most common plastic color in closed cars, tan/beige , is not used on open cars.

Posted on: 2022/4/22 7:35
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Terry
See User information
Where is the trim catalog I would like to see this? Thanks

Posted on: 2022/4/22 20:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are referring to the 41 paint and upholstery book that supplied the couple of pages showing the leather options above, I have it but have not scanned or submitted for posting on site.

The book is nothing but paint chips and individual swatches of upholstery fabrics that I did not believe would scan or post colors accurately enough to be of much use supplying the detail needed when trying to restore a car. If someone thinks it might be helpful I could do the scanning and send it to Kev to post.

Posted on: 2022/4/22 20:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Terry, just my 'umble opine, but we've seen more nice old cars ruint by lipstick/resale red paint and/or interior.
If you're compelled to see red, don't go any lighter than what Joe Santana shared.
Just because a lotta cowboy/look-at-me types own Packards today doesn't mean you should forget most were owned in the day by confident professionals who hewed to understatement; deep, rich, quiet colors.

The old cars, Packards, Cads, Cords, Hudsons, Buicks, Pierces; anything either side of the Atlantic or Channel you notice are those in soft all but forgotten hues.

Prewar Packard and upper echelon GMobile convertibles had a whipcord option that wore like iron, m u c h more comfortable on a cold or scorching day, and i've seen Duesenbergs originally fitted with "leatherette" as the young maharajah was of course vegan.

A friend did his '41 Cad conv. in a heavy, quality vinyl he says isn't available these days. You cannot tell if from leather and it still looks terrific after half a century.

Good article on the history and reality of leather upholstery, of special interest to those of us who are both autoholic and vegan.

As Hagerty's Aaron Robinson points out below, leather was originally used in carriages and automobiles because it was cheap and plentiful. I never cared for a car that smelled like my boyhood first baseman's mitt:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/auto-leather-isnt-all-its-cracked-up-to-be/

Posted on: 2022/4/23 0:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That article is dumb. The cows are going to be slaughtered regardless to make hamburgers (which I don't eat). An insurance company advocating cheaper materials for the cars it insures in disingenuous. What's next? Advocating scraping that low tech Packard powertrain for cheap to replace modern junkrod crate motor parts?

High quality leathers will last a long time without constant attention.

I am an insurance actuary by profession but companies like Hagerty would never consider hiring me. Why? Because they value ignorance above all other skills.

Posted on: 2022/4/23 6:28
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved