Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

fog lights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Wiring for fog lights - using a 6 volt relay - one terminal runs to the switch. The switch I bought has three terminals, BAT, and two blank. Which terminal on the switch do I use? And then do I need another wire to ground to complete the circuit? (The relay will be grounded) Will it work to hook the relay up to the starter solenoid for power. Any help is appreciated. I'll be glad to further clarify.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 20:00
 Top  Print 

Re: fog lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There's so many types of switches and relays, kinda hard to guess what you might be using to offer an opinion & wrong advise could be dangerous. Is there any information on the packaging?

It would be OK to take the power off the bat term on solenoid but whatever you do, put a fuse or circuit breaker first in line after that connection. How big would depend on what your lights draw plus a bit more for relay. Use 10ga wire for the lights, 16 would be OK for the switching circuit. As to whether you need another ground, again depends on how the relay is wired internally.

Provide as much info as you can about the parts and am sure someone will offer assistance.

Posted on: 2009/4/8 21:04
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hopefully this might help. On most switches the power hooks to the middle leg, and the power it transferred to one of the two other legs based on switch position. So if you leave one terminal not hooked up, then that is your OFF position.

You will have to look at the style of relay you have, but one the one pictured (similar to a horn relay), the middle is the trigger, the relay housing is grounded to metal via a the mounting screw. One side is the power feed, and the other side is the switched outlet.

This is a representative diagram. Switches and relays differ, as do there terminal configurations.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.71 KB)
1_49dd6b8f71aec.jpg 576X733 px

Posted on: 2009/4/8 22:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
How big would depend on what your lights draw plus a bit more for relay. Use 10ga wire for the lights, 16 would be OK for the switching circuit.

Why such large wire sizes? Unless I'm mistaken about the current handling capability of 10ga wire it will handel 30 amps (AC,DC 6/12 volts, dosn't matter). Don't think a couple of fog lamps and a relay will draw anything like that. The current for the switching circuit is also very low. Don't think that 16ga is necessary for that.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 12:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're right on both counts, but the 16ga is smallest Packard specified for anything except short 6" run instrument lights so stayed consistent.

As to the light feed, don't know how long the run, what type lights (some halogens are fairly large current) and have always been a bit conservative there anyway. Packard used 14 but I've always thought that marginal and most of us know sometimes 6v headlights are a bit dim. 12 and maybe even 14 would be OK but since cost and difference in workability or connectors for those sizes is negligible, suggested 10 just to eliminate any question and allow for almost anything.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 12:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What gauge wire is currently comming out of the fog lights???

As for the relay, set it up on a test circuit with a small test lite to determine the config of the electrical posts.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 17:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
to clarify my inquiry:
1. the fog lights are original to the car but never hooked-up
2. The relay is a BOSCH 6 volt and it has five terminals: one for the power from battery, two go to the fog lights, one is to ground the relay, and the last goes to the switch.
I am trying to include pictures of the relay and switch.
2. The switch has three terminals: one marked BATT, the other two blank. It has a 20 amp fuse as part of it. It screws down behind the dashboard.

My questions: the lead that goes from the relay to the switch, which terminal do I attach it to? BATT or one of the blank ones. Secondly, where do I connect the other lead from the switch, does it just need to ground to complete the circuit or what else?

I sure appreciate all this advise! AND ALL INCLUDED IN THE PRICE OF ADMISSION!

Attach file:

jpg  (60.58 KB)
272_49de85b825221.jpg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 18:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
PICTURE OF BACK OF SWITCH AND RELAY

Attach file:

jpg  (72.35 KB)
272_49de8681294a8.jpg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 18:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Off the top of my head there is at least 2wo different ways this can work.

FIRST. lets DISregard the switch and concentrate on the relay.
Connect the relay as u described above but NOT to the sw.
Do NOT connect the fog lites to the relay but rather connect two test lites to the fog lite posts on the relay instead. (this is a safety precaustion)
Now, is there current to the post of the relay that goes to the sw. ???
If answer is no then see my next post below.
If answer is YES, then MOMMENTARILY ground that same post to see if the test lites lite up. If they lite up then the SWITCH on the dash is only used to ground the circuit. Which means that the post on the relay should go to "BAT" on the sw. and one of the other posts of sw. go to ground.

HOW MANY POSITIONS DOES THE sw. have??? NOT terminals. POSITIONS. I'm guessing 3hree.

If the obove does not work then we'll explore another possibility.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 19:07
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I would run a wire from your power source to the "BATT". terminal. One or probably both of the other terminals are for connecting to the lights possibly one for each light as it was probably intended for a non relay application. Neither of the them should be grounded. Why not hook up a power wire to the 'Batt" terminal and using a test light or multi meter see which terminal receives power when the switch is turn on? When you determine that run a wire from there to the relay.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.71 KB)
13_49de8ee1a6ec8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 19:12
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved