Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 100

pmhowe, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: fog lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
OK, piece of cake now. You'll only need to use one terminal and with the relay info, Kev can make you a professional drawing.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 21:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
How do we know if the sw. post on the relay is always hot and therefore grounds thru the dash sw. OR if the relay post for the dash sw requires current INput????

Was the relay and Dash sw. bought as a set or from individual suppliers????

Posted on: 2009/4/9 22:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Relay is the same 6v VW headlight relay that's been used before--Jay used one for his OD relay replacement not too long ago. Coil is independent 2 wire and contacts are standard NO,NC + common.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 22:46
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think this should do the trick! Just verify the terminals on the switch. The power hooks to the batt terminal on it. (Click on the diagram below for the larger, clearer version)

Attach file:

jpg  (72.65 KB)
1_49decbbfd2d70.jpg 576X733 px

Posted on: 2009/4/9 23:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Kev, Thanks for updating the Bosch relay diagram. My version was pretty crappy. The factory foglight switch on my 1947 Super Clipper has two outlet terminals and the Packard foglights were orginally wired with no relay and with only one wire from the switch to the lights. I have been thinking of installing a rear fog light using that spare terminal.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 7:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Thanks to all who replied, especially to Big Kev for the excellent diagram. I think I got it!

One more question: Can I run a wire from 87A to the second fog light? ( This was one of my reasons for using a relay)

If not, how do I connect the two lights to the lead from 87?
Is it a simple as just connecting the three wires together with,say a wire nut, or is there another type of connector?
I know it is as simple question, but how do you do it?

Posted on: 2009/4/10 19:31
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
No, 87A is the opposite of 87. So when the relay is not energized, Power flows from 30 to 87a. When the relay is energized, 87a goes dead, and power flows to 87. Never use a wire nut on a car, they are not recommend for the vibration a car is subject to.

You want to either solder the wires together and then cover with heat-shrink tubing, or use a crimp style butt connector.

What I recommend is running a single wire between 87 on the relay and the closest fog light. Then you connect that to the wire or terminal on the fog light and then correct another wire to that same connection and run it to the second foglight. Similar to how the diagram shows.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 19:47
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
As you can see from the attached picture, I got the fog lights working. Thanks to all who replied, especially Big Kev for the excellent diagram.

I just followed the diagram and was careful to hide wires where I could. I used 12 ga wire (16, 14 and 12 were suggested, so I went with the thickest). I used a 20 amp in-line fuse because the fuse in the switch was 20 amp. I taped all of the connections after I crimped the wires. I only had to go back once and change the ground to the relay, and the lights went right on.

The switch under the dash looks nice and original to a 40ish
car. It has a light so that the knob glows when its on. Pretty cool !

Attach file:

jpg  (83.58 KB)
272_49f900c39577a.jpg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2009/4/29 20:37
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Glad to hear your got everything wired up and working!

Posted on: 2009/4/30 1:45
-BigKev

Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved