Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1939 Packard Six Radio issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Attached is a picture of the radio in my 1939 Packard Six convertible coupe. It appears that I am missing part of the face plate. What am I missing and can anyone on this forum help with finding the missing parts? I'd also be interested in purchasing a complete, working radio if anybody has one to spare. My radio is not currently working. Thank you.

Attach file:

jpg  39packardsixradio.JPG (232.80 KB)
225503_6261a7132f195.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/4/21 13:49
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Packard Six Radio issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I think that the faceplate you have is for the push button radio so you’re not so much missing anything as you have the incorrect plate.

Posted on: 2022/4/21 14:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not much help but these are the two radio options shown in the 39 Accessory folder. From the crappy illustration it almost looks like there is a plate finished same as the dash woodgraining on either side of the dial indicator. Can't read what the buttons say in the illustrations or if yours is missing the right side button. Lavine Reproductions has a 39-40 chrome finish piece but not sure based on the accessory illustrations if it is the correct piece for that radio. They also have some button components but I think those are for the 6 button Custom radio.

Attach file:

jpg  radio.jpg (809.62 KB)
209_6261b75a6caa1.jpg 1920X1720 px

jpg  radio1.jpg (264.67 KB)
209_6261b94b7c245.jpg 1564X1340 px

Posted on: 2022/4/21 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
packardsix1939 for including your '39 Six Convertible Coupe in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/4/21 15:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The one LaVine sells is for the type with the signal-seeking buttons which I thought was only 1940 but apparently not. Anyway, that’s not the proper type for your radio either. Unfortunately, I can’t be of much help as the only one I have is for the signal-seeker type radio.

Posted on: 2022/4/21 16:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
Right hand side of the radio has a preset dial with station call letters. It is operated by pressing the button on the left. Unfortunately, the plastic in the dial is very deteriorated due to age. I looked at the radio face plate on Lavine's website, but it does not appear to be a match. Somebody told me that Packard had a third type of radio option in 1939 (mine), but that it did not appear in the accessory catalog.

Posted on: 2022/4/21 20:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I just sold one of those radios. This is what your plate should look like.

Attach file:

jpg  Deluxe Radio.jpg (112.92 KB)
404_6262a285244c2.jpg 1200X800 px

Posted on: 2022/4/22 7:41
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your radio to me appears to be the same one listed as the single unit radio in the 39 accessory manual. The one West shows would seem to be the one not listed. If you cannot find a plate to fit or a new radio what about using something paintable and easy to work like a thin strip of ABS or PVC or even aluminum to make your own plate.

It would take some time and effort to make a cardboard pattern using the accessory illustrations as a guide and then transfer, cut and neatly finish holes in the material but if you are the least bit handy I think it would be doable. Painted to more or less match the dash, even if not stock, until something better came along it would be more presentable than what is there now.

Hard to say for sure but just based on looks in the illustrations the button on the left may be the same as those that Lavine repro's for the Custom radio. If yours is in bad shape maybe one of those would be an option.

On the deteriorated lens plastic wonder if one of the modern headlight cover or plastic lens restoring products would work. No idea what the original plastic might be so a trial in a hidden spot under the plate would be suggested but maybe the original lens could be improved to presentable condition. Another possibility for the deteriorated lens might be to buy one of the inexpensive plastic Fresnel lenses from Amazon or a small round plastic magnifying lens and cut it to size.

Posted on: 2022/4/22 11:14
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Good eyes. I didn't even realize there was a third unit available, and without looking closely at the details, assumed mine was the one in the catalog.

Posted on: 2022/4/22 12:01
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The one West showed was the same as available in reproduction from LaVine’s but yours is quite different and I’ve never seen one like it!

Posted on: 2022/4/22 12:29
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved