Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

straight 8 identification
Just popping in
Just popping in

PackRat
See User information
Just bought my first engine trans.
I have no idea what is... has Thunderbolt on head and K221665 stamped on left side of block. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2022/4/21 19:00
 Top  Print   

Re: straight 8 identification
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
K2 for the first 2 digits of the engine number would indicate the engine is a 1952 model year 288. The remaining 21665 is the sequence number that would give an indication on where in the total 52 production of 288's it was made. That number would end around 50000 so the engine was made maybe a quarter to a third of the way into the production schedule.

Was originally installed in a 200/200 Deluxe model and is probably 135 hp unless a different head was installed to up the compression ratio slightly. No easy way to tell if that happened. It will have 5 main bearings and if there is no other marks or letters such as an H stamped somewhere around the engine number it will have solid lifters.

You can find all the other specs on the engine in the Packard 51-4 service manual or in the 52 model year introduction specs in Nov 15, 1951 Service Counselor.

Posted on: 2022/4/21 19:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

PackRat
See User information
there is what apears to be a large upper case I after the numbers also it has the Thunderbolt head.

Posted on: 2022/4/21 20:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

PackRat
See User information
The crank case also has numbers 4 11 52. would that be the date of manufacturing?

Posted on: 2022/4/21 20:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That date would be the date the engine block was cast by the foundry. So no, not the manufacturing date of either the assembled motor or the vehicle it was installed in.

Posted on: 2022/4/21 20:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day PackRat,
to PackardInfo. Normally I'd invite you to include your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry but, seeing there's not enough Packard to constitute a "vehicle", the Welcome will have to suffice.

However if you reunite the engine/trans with a Packard body, don't forget the Registry.

Posted on: 2022/4/21 23:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
there is what apears to be a large upper case I after the numbers also it has the Thunderbolt head.

For most vehicle, engine and other serial numbers, Packard used the upper case I as a 1.

Also, for 1951 through 1954 and maybe earlier all the heads were Thunderbolt except for the original aluminum head used on the 1954 359 engine. If you want to know exactly which head, then look at is casting number (near the water outlet) and see if it matches a part number in the parts book.

Posted on: 2022/4/22 2:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved