Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
45 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 44

chevyboy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

new to the packard world---HELP
Just popping in
Just popping in

ilff618
See User information
just got a '39 120. wanting to know if i rebuild the original flat head what kind of horsepower am i going to get and is it going to be dependable. or do i be like everybody else and put an aftermarket updated engine in?

Posted on: 2009/4/9 22:53
 Top  Print   

Re: new to the packard world---HELP
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If it has the original 282 straight eight in it, it should produce around 120 HP. I don't have a 282 so I'll let somebody else comment on reliability, ease of rebuild, etc. The vast majority of the Packard owners on this forum have not replaced the engine of their cars with an 'aftermarket updated engine'.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 23:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Depending on the current condition of the car, and what your long term plans are for it will answer your questions.

If you want to restore it, then keep the original motor. If you want to maintain its value, then keep the original motor.

Now if the car is a "project", unrestorable, or would require to much money to restore vs. it's finished value or you don't intend on keeping it original, or you are looking for a hot-rod/street-rod and speed. Then the original motor probably isn't going to be what you want. These were luxury cars built for smooth dependable transportation. Not build for the drag-strip. The majority of the folks here are about maintaining the original drive train. Anyone can drop in a SBC, but then you are just like every other vintage car with a SBC transplant in it. Open the hood on that straight eight at a show, and people will come over as you have something unique, a piece of history.

Just my , change given.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 23:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
ilff618 wrote: just got a '39 120........

G'day ilff618,
to PackardInfo. Please include your '39 in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it. Whether you rebuild the straight 8 or update with a later engine would you consider starting a Project Blog here and keeping us updated as it progresses?

Posted on: 2009/4/10 0:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Welcome to Packardinfo.

I think Kev said most of it. If it's in good enough shape to bring back to life then do so. 120 HP is plenty for sunday driving and will keep up with modern traffic.

If you drop a small block chev in it then what do you have...a Chevard or a Pacolet?

In the end it is your choice.

Good luck!!

Posted on: 2009/4/10 1:24
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Your engine will have all the power you need. Developed horsepower only tells half the story.

Far more important in every day driving is torque, and a broad power band in other words, torque at all speeds.

This is where the old long stroke flathead engines shine. Your car in top shape, is capable of idling along in dead silence at 5 MPH in high gear, and then accelerating away up to 70 MPH without any sign of stress. Top speed would be 85 or 90 MPH.

In those days there were no automatic transmissions. Smoothness, silence, and ease of driving at all speeds, were the hallmarks of a quality car.

Believe me, you will experience no lack of power in normal use.

As for the engine itself, they are built to be overhauled periodically during their service life. All parts are available and they are much easier to work on than new engines.

In other words it would be easier and cheaper to rebuild your old engine, than to substitute a new one.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 3:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
I don't think you could ever replace the Packard engine.You can substitute anything else you like.I have never seen or owned a better engine in an antique auto.(In fact I drive mine every day the sun shines )The 39 was the first year for a column shift and overdrive.(I hope you have the O/D)With proper maintenance,that auto should last another 70 years of daily use with todays fuels and lubricants .Parts are common for this engine as for the rest of the drive train.
Brakes are great when working properly.
Smooth and quiet ride.Easy to drive and operate.Very easy to maintain.(Valve adjustment can be a little tricky.)
A very straight forward and well designed automobile.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Welcome to the group. My feeling is do as you wish but any old car on the road regardless of engine will allow others to see and enjoy the style that all old cars have there trademark style and appointments . Cars did not all look the same and upscale cars were made to a different level back then anyone can see that after looking at them. If you change drive train keep the old or get it to some one who will use or keep it for future use. Once its scrapped its gone forever. Cars are throw away when 5 to 10 years old but later they can't be replaced as easily

Posted on: 2009/4/10 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PLEASE, keep it as original as possible. Why compromise the inherent value of a nice prewar Packard?

Posted on: 2009/4/10 13:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved