Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Search - Decisions
Just popping in
Just popping in

mgambuzza
See User information
I live in Central NY and am a self-professed "autoholic" owning many vehicles from Z3s, Camaros, Trans Ams, MGs, SLKs, Corvettes (70s)... the list goes on.

A few years ago I sold the 1970 Corvette I had for almost 30 years and purchased a 1930 Model A. The car is a lot of fun, easy to maintain, but for those familiar with Central NY, can be a challenge with hills, highways, etc. Going to car shows can be an adventure, and traveling 20+ miles to a car show/event in one of these is a challenge in time, charting the proper route (avoiding highways and hills), but is pleasing. I always looked into Packards, but didn't know anyone locally who had one to ask.

The models I would be considering as a "starter" would be the 110/Sixes, 120, Clipper, and 48-50 Series 22/23 (maybe even the early fifties models). I was wondering what may be the advantages/pitfalls/weak links in looking at any of these may be as I'd like to use it to travel to local as well as 40-60 miles for car shows/events without making it a multi day event. Thanks ahead of time for any/all responses.

Mike

Posted on: 2022/4/24 6:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard Search - Decisions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim in Boone
See User information
Quote:

mgambuzza wrote:

The models I would be considering as a "starter" would be the 110/Sixes, 120, Clipper, and 48-50 Series 22/23 (maybe even the early fifties models).

Mike

Expect you will get many more educated responses than mine, but for my 2 cents worth: We have a 40 model 110 coupe and a 48 four door, would think either era would fit your needs.

The 110 seems to have plenty of power, now sure I'd want to travel the interstate, but otherwise okay.

As an individual, I might be more comfortable in the 48, but mostly because dad had a 23rd series for years that I drove in high school years, for me just more familiar, let's say as a kid I had a heavy foot.

Posted on: 2022/4/24 7:47
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

mgambuzza
See User information
I'd definitely not want to travel the Fed Hwys (in my area Rt 81/90 at 65), but the back roads and old state highways - Rt 11/290/5&20 where it passes through towns and ranges from 45-55MPH. The A can do 45 but she's definitely singing at that speed.

Thank you for your 2c - !any and all input is appreciated

Posted on: 2022/4/24 9:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Unlike Fords of the era, even in the 30's Packards with the Twin Six / V12 could hit 100 mph, so there was no shortage of power. In the 50's the top speed was around 110. You can look at the sales brochures in the Literature Archive here, or check Model Information, to see HP figures.

I've heard of people changing the gear ratio in the differential for some of the older ones so the engine doesn't rev as high on the freeway, but for normal travel any well-functioning Packard of that era should be sufficient. I think for many, the larger concern is stopping, not going.

Posted on: 2022/4/24 10:14
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

mgambuzza
See User information
Stopping is definitely the one thing I had to learn quickly on the Model A! I learned quickly that manual/mechanical brakes with drums were significantly different than hydraulic 4 wheel disc!

Posted on: 2022/4/24 10:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I would think staying with any of the flat straight 8s vs 6s would offer ample torque and speed and manual you can shift your way out of rpm death.
The 22-23s are fairly light in weight. HP is not impressive, but torq gets U going. The weights/HPs are listed in the model info tab.
"Prewar not for me"; he older ones maybe more appeal / recognition. I saw a '42 Clipper sedan going to auction soon that's one of two. It's got the deco look and the old P luxury charm of a bentley or rolls, but probably bring big bucks. Eye candy/investment grade.

Posted on: 2022/4/24 11:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The only item I've found to be below Packard's usual standard is the column mounted 3 spd transmission's tendency to slip gears when worn. It's not a major problem, it's the external levers not transmission internals.

Your list includes the Clippers and Bathtubs which had the 356 available on the Senior models. Wonderful cars but be aware that correct interior restoration is expensive and difficult.

Disc brakes are superior in fade resistance, but help little or nothing in stopping distance. Same contact patch and can be brought to the edge of lock-up either way. I'd say that the more controversial topic of radial tires impact driving more.

Posted on: 2022/4/24 12:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...I'm one of those fellows who has a 31 Model A and a 49 Packard Deluxe. Both cars are reliable around town and on the road. The A with a Mitchell Overdrive will run 50 to 55 pretty happily...on flat ground...The Packard has and R11 overdrive and will run 60 without sounding like it is over working...on flat ground...It is more comfortable than the A...but then there is almost 20 years between them...A 23rd series in good driving condition is about equal in price to an A in good driving condition...not show quality but nice in both cases...Radial Tires on the Packard make it run down the road better than the bias ply, but a bit harder to manover in the parking lots at low speed. Just my humble thoughts...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2022/4/24 13:31
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Mike, I think that either choice 6cyl or 8cyl would be suitable for a reliable driver. I own and drive both the 6cyl and the 8cyl cars often. My experience has been with 1937 115 touring sedan, 1947 Clipper sedan taxi both are 6cyl cars. The 8cyl cars are 1948 Super8 with 327ci and 1949 Super8 convertible with the 327ci engine. I also have driven our 1949 Deluxe8 sedan 288ci engine to all 4 borders of the United States to National meets. The only drawback of the 6cyl cars is prolonged Interstate higher speeds. I found the 8cyl cars to be able to keep up with all traffic situations. My personal favorite is the 327ci engine. Happy Packarding, Roger

Attach file:

jpg  photos aug 15 2020 003.jpg (322.46 KB)
971_6265979ded432.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2022/4/24 13:31
Packardtaximan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
It seems like you're looking for a restored ready-to-tour car, in which case I'd choose any model with overdrive.

If you're looking to restore a Packard, I would look for a senior car, not a junior, because the cost to restore a Packard will be about the same, but the value of a junior car will be less than a senior.

Most of the straight 6 and 8 engines were manufactured for several years, so parts are readily available.

Body style, color interior or exterior, gee that's getting personal. Very subjective.

Posted on: 2022/4/24 15:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved