Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: 1934 Pittsburgh Auto Show?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Sarcux wrote: Hiya everyone...I'm wondering if any of you happen to have stowed away some photos from the 1934 auto show in Pittsburg's Motor Square Garden.........

Jeremy.

A couple of thoughts on sourcing pic's of the 1934 auto show in Pittsburg's Motor Square Garden. These being the archives of the Pittsburgh newspapers of the time, and likewise the records and documents of Pittsburg's libraries and museums. Don't know if these are now on-line or if it means sitting down and sifting through old paper records but they are probably the most likely and accessible sources of what you're after.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 17:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is my take on this rig.

Given that Ed Blend lived around Pittsburgh if there was any information more than a single picture he would have found it. My guess is that the car was an individual custom done locally. That is, the Lebaron fenders and running boards were ordered via the parts book and the conversion made by a local shop. The car may have been loaned by the dealer for the display or put there as part of the dealer's own display. If this car was a Packard factory job it would have been shown in more than one place, and there would have been a studio picture.

I saw another oddball like this years ago. It was an individual custom 180 Club Sedan chopped to look like a Cadillac 60 Special. It even had 60 Special doors on it. That car was a Rollson job.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 17:10
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeremy Adams
See User information
Ed saw the car in person in Pittsburg in '34. It is a documented car. Chassis # 1108-65. Also, it could have been shown in west coast shows too, later in '34.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 22:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jim Pearsall had nothing useful in terms of info or pictures? I'll be glad to make contact with him if you're reluctant. There probably is not better historian alive today of that era of Packard, and he's an avid collector of of-the-era photos of Packards.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 22:14
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeremy Adams
See User information
I'm honestly not familiar with Jim, I'll have to ask Dale if he knows him.

I do appreciate everyone's help and leads. I think I'll make a trip to Pittsburg, too.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 7:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
OK, I sent Mr. Pearsall in inquiry by email this morning. We'll see if he has any information that might help you.

PS - I did make contact with Mr. Pearsall who like others is vaguely aware of the vehicle but has no specific information to provide. Guess you'll have to keep digging and sorry I wasn't able to help.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 8:37
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeremy Adams
See User information
Much obliged! I'll have to ask my dad at brunch today if he knows him. Dad seems to know everyone.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 10:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Let me put two more cents in here and go away.

The reference to the car on page 435 of the Packard Book is too vague. It warrants a red pencil note of "please be more specific".

Another thing that bugs me is the missing fender skirt emblem in what seems to be the only period picture of the car. If this job was done in Detroit, I would think that the emblem would be there. If it was a parts list play, they may have overlooked the emblems.

Sometimes cars like this show up for which there isn't any information. Especially around New York and Philly. Sometimes they were side jobs.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 12:17
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeremy Adams
See User information
Edit: I talked to Dale, he said the fenders are identical to those on a LeBaron dual-cowl phaeton. They are hand made, however, so they could be made either by Packard or by LeBaron. He thinks it was quickly devised before the show as something new and different.

Regardless, I appreciate everyone's insight. I'll go a lookin' for some photos. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2009/4/12 12:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
These are not LeBaron fenders, instead were one-offs made by Packard

I thought this body was attributed to Dietrich, not Packard. The fact that the vehicle number is a chassis number plus a sequence#, 1108-XX, says Packard sold a naked or nearly naked chassis and was not involved in the coachwork. Or am I missing something here?

Posted on: 2009/4/12 13:05
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved