Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 154

Packard Don, todd landis, humanpotatohybrid, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: 1934 Pittsburgh Auto Show?
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
At the very least, firewalls weren't installed until final assembly. This, of course, is just my opinion. I suppose it could be argued that the 1934 bodies were built in 1932 and then highly modified...

Posted on: 2009/4/17 8:16
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The theft proof number is stamped on a steel firewall, but behind the steel one is a wooden one. Perhaps that explains it? They had wooden firewalls on, and the steel one may have been applied during final assembly.

I agree, that's the conclusion the facts (that we have) support.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 8:29
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeremy Adams
See User information
Though, the Dietrichs have long hoods and short cowls, and I believe that was only in 1934, right?

Posted on: 2009/4/17 8:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just ran into a man who was familiar with the car in the Wheatley era. I'll see him at the CCCA Grand Classic in NJ tomorrow and see if he has anything to add.

I'll leave the question on the cowl/hood of 32 vs 34 to West who knows this stuff far better than I.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 9:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
There is one 1934 Dietrich with a short hood. Ralph Marano owns it. It's a rather odd looking extra long convertible sedan. Nice resto, though, and interestng brownish red color.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 9:26
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeremy Adams
See User information
Boy have I been finding out a lot of information about our car over the past week. I spoke with Ricardo LaCosta Jr.'s grandson about the car. He had never seen it, but his grandfather used to speak about it. Apparently LaCosta Jr. had a penchant for buying custom cars. He also bought a 1940 Packard 180 Rollson Club Sedan that wound up in the collection of the late Bob Russell.

At Dave's suggestion, I spoke to Mr. Pearsall. He had a very interesting thought. Apparently Packard had an event called a "Traveling Salon" that ran from Detroit to New York, stopping at the big dealers along the way - held in the winters. He said the Car of the Dome was sold at the 1934 tour (in Allentown, PA, I believe).

This could very well explain how our car made it to New York, and purchased by LaCosta Jr.

I contacted the Allentown and Reading public libraries to see if they happen to have any photos from the 1934 and 1935 Traveling Salons. Stranger things have happened.

I appreciate everyone's insight on this, it has been fun tracking down the history of this car. And difficult!

The next enigma... finding out what color it was originally. I am thinking it was Flama Brown, as that was one of the two Conv. Vic. colors in '34, and the other (Dusk Rose) is simply too light to fit in with the picture.

Now I just need a color chip of Flama Brown (and Phillippine Brown which was used for the mouldings) so we can start fiddling.

I have this scan of color chips... but who knows how accurate they are?

Attach file:

jpg  (40.42 KB)
1444_49ecaa5bbc78e.jpg 603X778 px

Posted on: 2009/4/20 11:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have this scan of color chips... but who knows how accurate they are?

True, but what better source of information is there?

Posted on: 2009/4/20 12:22
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeremy Adams
See User information
I meant the scan distorts the colors. Would love to see them in person, unfortunately the company only has that one set.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 13:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
You could try and see if the company would be willing to scan the page with a known color strip or grey card. A good printer could then print the scan and the colors would be about as accurate as you can get them with a scan.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/4/20 17:00
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jeremy,
for including the '34 Dietrich Convertible Victoria in the Owner Registry.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 6:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved