Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 147

Dads 56, 39Rollson, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Trunk floor pan for 47 Clipper need any direction.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
FWIW, the Packard that we catch a brief glimpse of at night in Patton sure as Hell looks like one of the bathtubs to Wat.

I don't remember the Patton movie but you are probably correct. I do remember another movie with a time period supposedly during early WWII. Location was set in South America and the good guys were chasing Nazi spies. There was most definitely a postwar bathtub in that movie and it was shown more than once. I guess the prop master thought if they needed an old period car anything from the 40s would do.

Posted on: 2022/5/5 12:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
Here is the donor vehicle that we are under the impression is a 47 series 21 Clipper 120 in wheelbase. We have a 42 grill that bolts in place, but thought that this donor also has wiskers.

Attach file:

jpg  42 grill.JPG (31.56 KB)
200179_6275374c3092c.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  arrival front.JPG (29.03 KB)
200179_62753800ac309.jpg 448X336 px

jpg  47 grill.JPG (29.03 KB)
200179_62753899d7be7.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2022/5/6 9:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That looks like a 1942 to me. The postwar Clippers had wide grille bars while the prewar had narrow ones.

Posted on: 2022/5/6 12:26
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

signsup
See User information
Probably confusing, but the pics are of the front end of the car as it arrived, one of the 47 grill that came with the car and one with the 42 grill that we obtained
Numbers from the donor car:

Body Number: 2112-22185
Vehicle Number: 2112-22635
Date of Delivery: 9-3-47

Posted on: 2022/5/6 14:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You might need a good staff car for WW3!
Probably have some difficulty obtaining black out parts, but the MVPA - military vehicle preservation assn, is probably a better places to obtain info on this.

The one in the Patton movie w/ Geo C.
is a post war limo, aka bath tub, in a war year movie. Hollywood makes do with what's available. Budget car. So you might rent it out at some point.
Who would know except if you knew them? They've been gone so long, it's down to old pictures and faded memories.

ps:Used to be able to buy official olive drab paint at the army/navy surplus, but I haven't been in one of those for decades, so it might be a little dried out by now.

Posted on: 2022/5/7 7:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
A 2112 would be a 1947 Deluxe sedan. So maybe someone did away with the whiskers, or it got a pair of 6 banger fenders installed after some mishap or other decision.

Wat put a deposit on this 1941 Staph Car today. I love the lack of whiskers.

e/t/a: It's a pre-war, so I hope that the Forum Gods are not angered at it's being in the post-war section.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1079.jpg (351.61 KB)
224836_62771c0ee2a15.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/5/7 20:26
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If they are original, the fender skirts on that car make it worthwhile. Unless it is a covered up rust bucket the rest doesn't look bad either.

Posted on: 2022/5/7 20:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I think you mean Staff car unless it has a staph infection or it is so rusty it could give you one! Anyway, looks like a great find. If it is truly a military vehicle, then it is likely that the whiskers were deleted from the factory as that was common. My 1951 Henney-Packard Air Force ambulance has only a fraction of the trim of the civilian coaches.

Posted on: 2022/5/8 2:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
A lesson in Wat's sense of humor: take things he says with a grain (or several tons, as needed) of salt. Hence staff equals staph, and I so very much doubt that this car has more than been on a military base by accident.

It is 1401-10025, I think - it's hard to read. It has no whiskers like my other 1401. They weren't included. The trunk floor is shot (to be expected), there is rust-through in the floor at the driver's seat (Briggs at work), and the rockers are rusty (again, no surprises). The bottom rear of the driver's fender has a small dent and there is a pinhole rusted in the front above the side grills, but it's pretty solid for 81 years old. Definitely repairable. The passenger fender is great. Bumpers are decent. Interior may have issues but what I have looked at is pretty good. The engine is complete and (allegedly) runs. The tranny seems to lack o/d, but oh well. The dash is out and there allegedly is a new wiring harness, but I kinda doubt it.

I will probably borrow its fenders for the custom coupe. Always on the lookout for good driver's LWB fenders, at least until I learn how to fix them. There is supposed to be another pair (and car) in my future later this year. Not sure if this car is too good to part. We'll see how Fred weighs in on it.

Posted on: 2022/5/8 6:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
If they are original, the fender skirts on that car make it worthwhile. Unless it is a covered up rust bucket the rest doesn't look bad either.

Here's hoping that they are. They cinched the deal, really.

Posted on: 2022/5/8 6:04
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved