Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cool as a cucumber
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Ive been having trouble with my 1949 deluxe 288 running hot. Many of you offered solutions to the problem. They all helped, but it still wasnt running cool enough to suit me. So I wanted to share a really effective fix in case anyone else is having this problem. I routed the output hose on top of the cylinder head directly to the heater core. Hooked the long hose from the water pump to the heater core output.Cut a rectangular hole in the heater core cover, which turned the heater core into an auxillary radiator. Worked great. Car stays right in middle of temp gage.Hope this is helpful.

Posted on: 2022/5/4 19:18
 Top  Print 

Re: cool as a cucumber
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I used that trick of turning the heater on in a Mazda pickup when the engine thermostat stuck in a barely open position. Am curious about your heater function when it becomes that time again and also is there hot air and fumes getting into the passenger compt.

Posted on: 2022/5/4 20:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
An old trick to help cooling was to turn on the heater to full heat and speed and roll down a window. Could be uncomfortably warm in the passenger compartment, but helped the cooling.

Posted on: 2022/5/5 11:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
The last thing we need in sw Florida is a heater lol. No fumes blower is disconnected

Posted on: 2022/5/7 14:26
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
When you say "hot" what do you mean? Does your coolant boil? Do you loose coolant? If not, you car is not running hot. You cannot judge the car's coolant temp. by the temp. gauge.

Posted on: 2022/5/13 14:24
Dwight
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't agree entirely with Dwight.

I do agree that you can't tell the coolant temperature from the temperature gauge (unless you've calibrated it). But I can't agree with his statement that if your coolant isn't boiling or running out the overflow, you don't have an overheating situation.

If your cooling system temperature is much (10-15 degrees or so) higher than your thermostat rating in a non-stressful driving situation, your cooling system is not functioning to it's original capacity, i.e. you're overheating.

Posted on: 2022/5/14 13:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Just to add a wrench into things, I was surprised when I read the following from the 1954 Clipper Owner's Manual:

"At normal operating temperature the pointer should center approximately between the "C" (cold) and "H" (hot) position, except on long hard drives in summer weather, when it may register nearer to the "Hot" side. This condition need not cause alarm as the pressure type system will normally prevent boiling or fluid losses at temperatures up to 248 degrees F. However, a sudden rise to the "H" mark should be investigated at once."

248? In the past, mine started moving past the center at about 195-200 on the rear of the engine. Since my radiator was serviced it has stayed centered easier, with engine temperature never exceeding 180 (measured with a temp gun).

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/5/14 21:20
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

RKS
See User information
Found this interesting thought I share;

Attach file:

jpeg  C74D82CE-1354-4BEB-ADF1-566FBA212EF2_1_201_a.jpeg (93.18 KB)
123565_629018372b2d2.jpeg 612X792 px

Posted on: 2022/5/26 19:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For anyone that might have installed a higher rated pressure cap and still has an old original style bellows thermostat there is another bulletin to keep in mind. 53-T11 mentions the bellows vs capsule type thermostats and how increased pressure affects the bellows type operation. The bulletin copy in the archive is poor quality so if anyone wants it here is a better one.

Attach file:

pdf Bulletin 53-T11.pdf Size: 573.95 KB; Hits: 74

Posted on: 2022/5/26 20:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved