Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: 12 volt conversion lessons learned
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
My preference for my Packards is to keep them as stock as possible, but I can understand that if somebody wants to add all the accessories normally found on a modern car to their Packard they might be inclined to convert to 12 volts.

Here's a link to an earlier thread that has some good tips on what to be aware of when converting to 12 volt.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=1412&forum=2

There are other threads that you can find by searching on '12 volt'.

I drive my 1950 6 volt Packard everywhere (when there's no road salt to contend with). I have no interest in owning a trailer queen, I have too much fun driving it.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 1:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What to do about the starter motor on a 12v conversion???? U can hit the 6v starter with 12v no problem FOR SHORT INTERVALS which means that hte engine has to be kept in good tune. Sooner or later need to find a 12v starter that will fit or rewind the 6v starter.

Bulbs, horn, alternator, regulators,ignition is the ez part of the 12v conversion . Research is needed for things like fuel tank sending unit/gauge, blower motors, will require a 12 v conversion or somekind of resistor or retro fit from other cars. These are the areas that need to be researched and that u will need help with. My preference is to always retro fit parts from other cars as late model as possible.

Keep us posted.

Glad to see someone else join the forum that DRIVES their car too.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 7:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Re: 12 voly conversion lessons learned
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Fred. I'm not familiar enuf with the pre-55 Packards to be able to advise u on what 12v starter will drop onto your engine or any other 12v parts readily avialable that will fit your particular car.

Hopefuly others that DO KNOW will advise u about 12v parts that will fit your car instead of trying to change your mind to keep it 6v.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 8:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
In reference to your question on a wiring harness, here's another link to a previous discussion. Hope it helps.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=1164&forum=2

Posted on: 2009/4/11 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
That is a rationale that I hear a lot when strolling around the weekend car shows in Southern California at some park with all the shine and Do Not Touch signs on the windshields. See all the "trailer queens" with their trailers parked around the corner or actually drove to the park from 25 miles away.

Id like you to know that my Packard is not a trailer queen. In the last 3 years I have put over 15K miles on it. I don't drive to a job every day so these miles were mostly from road trips. I drive it most every day. This is the car I prefer out of the 4 cars I have. I drive it to car shows and on long extended trips. I have driven it over the mountains numerous times to Reno from the bay area in the summer. This is the car I bring my groceries home in.

Not everyone belives that these cars need redesigning and upgrading to have what you refer to as a "reliable car" They were reliable when they were new and are reliable now with proper service and repair. Just because something breaks or doesn't work like it did when it was new doesn't warrant recreation or transformation into something it never was. Simply fix it. The car will be grateful.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 10:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
taking trips to the state parks, as the Packard was originally designed to do when 6 volt systems were new and plentiful.

What does plentiful have to do with anything. The fact is that you can drive your car to work everyday and keep the 6 volt system as it should be. If the 6 volt system isn't working for you it's because something needs to be repaired not thrown away and replaced by something new and reliable as you might put it.

And to your assumption as to what the Packard Motor company designed their cars to do. Packard strived to build reliable cars that would preform no matter where you drove them and what ever they were used for.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
I want my son and grandson/daughter to experience the enjoyment I did in my fathers 1950 Packard sedan driving to visit relatives, feeling the engine pull hills in igh gear without a sound,

What are you going to tell your grandchildren when they say " Hay Gramps, I didn't know they had alternators way back then" or " I thought most cars this old used cloth covered wire" ( fill in the blanks )?

Wouldn't it be better to show them how it really was and not how you have made it to be??

Posted on: 2009/4/11 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
with out a doubt, the worse monkey business I have seen on old cars is committed to the electrical systems. Every shade tree Joe and Roddin' Ricky has to bring the car they find down to their level of understanding. The V-8 Packards really suffer from this, apparently the systems Packard designed for those cars is electrical Greek to the "not into reading books" crowd.

Mr Pushbutton, You hit it right on the nose. Well said!

Posted on: 2009/4/11 11:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 12 voly conversion lessons learned
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Get the book from fifth ave.Lotta good info. and they sell reducers for the gauges and such.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
My preference for my Packards is to keep them as stock as possible, but I can understand that if somebody wants to add all the accessories normally found on a modern car to their Packard they might be inclined to convert to 12 volts.

Then they should buy a modern car and leave the old ones to the people who understand and appreciate them for what they are and not for what they can turn them into. I think the fact that some people want to rewrite history goes way deeper than just old cars. I think it's all part of the dumbing down of our young people in this country.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 11:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved