Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
58 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 57

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: 12 volt conversion lessons learned
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
MrPB advises:

"I woulod only ask one thing: if you are going to convert the car, for whatever reason, document what you did. Draw a schematic like the shop manual has for the OE set up. I have had to waste a lot of time doping out someone else's (Il-)"logic" trying to fix something as simple as a charging circuit."

Why????? The original schematic serves just as well for 12v as for 6v. What is there to change?????? Adding a ballast resistor in the circuit is about all that changes the schedmatic . He'll use aan alternator with built in regulator.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 11:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Do you really think we are here to read about thinks we should do (or buy!)?

It's only my opinion. This 6 to 12 volt thing really gets me going. It's been said many times on here ( 6 volts is just fine ) and I agree.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 11:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Phred, just sell your car and go buy a '56 Packard, 12V, negative ground, and you won't piss anyone off.

Just my $.02

Posted on: 2009/4/11 12:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Phred,

Go ahead and convert YOUR car in whatever manner pleases you and that you can afford. If you can't afford a $700 rebuild for an original 6V, positive ground radio or the astronomical cost (IF you could find original parts) of a 6V, positive ground A/C system; if your car overheats or the battery discharges sitting in modern city traffic with all accessories running or any number of other sets of circumstances, the cost of which restorations would equal a half-year's pay for some of us, do whatever you need to do to be able to continue to enjoy your car. I started a restoration on my car, when I got it. My financial situation changed and I am still, "restoring," with regard to my financial capabilities. Like Packard V8, I drive my car and, indeed, it's the only vehicle that I own. If I could afford a full and pure restoration, I'd STILL drive it but, in the interim, I do what I have to do, endeavouring to keep the power plant and mechanics as original as possible and trying not to do anything to the car that would prevent someone restoring it after I'm gone.

In a perfect world we should all be able to enjoy our cars. In this era of outlandishly inflated prices for parts, service and labour, complicated by outlandishly inflated currency and unrealistic expectations - we do what we can.

Perhaps our cars should be reserved for those with the financial wherewithal to, "properly," restore them to their original glory but, being a contrarian of the first order, I refuse to subscribe to that viewpoint.

Good on you. Fix up your car and drive it. Fully 90% of the population today has never seen a Packard and isn't even aware that anyone but GM, Ford and Chrysler ever made automobiles in this country and wouldn't know a pristine Packard from a nail clipper. Maybe one or two of them will see yours, think it's neat and save another two or three from the crusher. They could even, eventually, properly restore one.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 12:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 12 voly conversion lessons learned
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Go ahead and convert YOUR car in whatever manner pleases you and that you can afford.

I'm not completely opposed to this philosophy. I can appreciate money restrictions.

What I'm most opposed to is the philosophy that says "If it doesn't work it must be because those old fuddy duddy car manufacturers didn't know what they were doing when they designed this inadequate system."

I don't agree that most people make major engineering changes to their cars because they can't afford the repair parts. Converting to 12 volts, replacing the transmission with a new Chrysler trans and so on most likely costs more dollars than fixing what is there.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Bob1951 wrote:
Quote:
Go ahead and convert YOUR car in whatever manner pleases you and that you can afford.

I'm not completely opposed to this philosophy. I can appreciate money restrictions.

What I'm most opposed to is the philosophy that says "If it doesn't work it must be because those old fuddy duddy car manufacturers didn't know what they were doing when they designed this inadequate system."

I don't agree that most people make major engineering changes to their cars because they can't afford the repair parts. Converting to 12 volts, replacing the transmission with a new Chrysler trans and so on most likely costs more dollars than fixing what is there.

OFFTOPIC RANT:

All very true...if you're willing to learn about older technology it usually is easier to fix and cheaper than to swap out. But when you're done you have the same limitations that the technology had in the first place.

And lets not forget, if they HAD the technology we had back then, it'd be in the car. Packard wasn't prejudiced against 12 volt or disc brakes or power anything or negative ground.

And DRIVING NEEDS CHANGE. The word reliable then doesn't mean the same as now. If you drove on a hot day back then and lost some antifreeze when you parked it, that's how it was. Now if my 05 mustang was leaking antifreeze out the overflow, i'd know something was wrong.

Model T's needed a rebuild, what, every 3500 miles? So if you had the chance to put better bearings and oiling in one to last double that, you wouldn't? Just so your grandkids don't go "grampa, you haven't rebuild the A in awhile, did you ruin it? Is it still a real model A?"

The line of originality is different for everyone. I see 12 volt, when done tastefully, as still original enough for a driver. th350 behind a straight 8 because the ultramatic died? Maybe. Big Block under the hood of the 50? Ok, that's my line. Front Disc with power booster? LED bulb replacements? Yes, if it keeps people from smashing packards from not seeing them or packards not stopping in time for some kid on a cell phones crazy turn across your lane. I'm ok with that. Seatbelts? Already added them to mine.

I have a 1950 6V positive system still in my eight. I have to say that i love the barely-on headlights at idle and people almost running me down on the highway because the tail lights aren't that bright. I love that i can't use a phone charger on long trips because the car's opposite of what's normal. By love i'm sure you can tell i mean NOT LOVE. Sure i put up with it, but on some days i just think...hey...i'll drive the mustang today. Then less people get to see the work that USED to go into American cars because, honestly, it's a little bit of work to drive something with those inconveniences.

But i have to say, in any hobby i get into, whether it's hand guns or cars or bikes or whatever, there's always someone saying how thing's SHOULD be and how cheap hand guns aren't real guns and how Chevy 350's in an old straight six car takes away all it's charm. Funny how old timers still stop and ask about an old car even if it's been modified so it's "not old" or "authentic" anymore.

That kind of snobbery (and it IS snobbery to have an OPINION that you feel is close to FACT on a subject that is SUBJECTIVE and therefore can't be PROVEN) is exactly what drives people away from hobbies. You want Packards to live on for future generations? I bet at 27 i'm one of the youngest people on this board. Keep heckling people that want to change the Packards they paid good money for and the people new to the hobby who don't get the "Packard experience" yet and they'll end up discouraged, or worse yet, do mods without advice and butcher the car. All the Packards will end up rusting into dust, and the Packard enthusiast hobby and cars will fade away and die with the "Purists" that pushed everyone out.

I'm all for originality, but if it came down to a Pontiac 455 in my Packard or no Packard at all (because i couldn't source a replacement engine, bought one without, etc) i'd be the first one to fire up torches and yanking that old motor and ultramatic out.

Over at chevytalk.org i'm in the 49-54 boards working on my street rod 50 chevy. (that IS getting a pontiac 455 and coil springs on all four corners) There are hardcore inliners there who are all about originality and guys who cram V8's in by the dozen. Everyone learns from everyone and still get's along. i really think we could learn something from that.

On Topic:

Consider one of the alternators that have been modified with a smaller pulley and to restrict output to 6v. You have to go negative ground, but not much needs changed and it's more reliable and better charging than even a new generator, still 6v system.

Has anyone found a way to "hide" an alternator as a generator? Some kind of case cover or something?

Posted on: 2009/4/29 10:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Haven't seen anyone offering a way to "hide" an alternator. There are 6v pos & neg ground ordinary looking alternators and kits to convert your own to 6v at alternatorparts.com and there are 12v alternators that look like generators at PowerGEN.

Another poster said PowerGEN had or was going to make 6v also but don't see any on their website. Would be nice if the 6v conversion kit would fit the retro looking alternator. Don't know if anyone has tried.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
I think that these cars should be kept as original as they can be. 6 volt systems worked well for a long time, and they can still work well today.

I do think that 12 volt systems are a bit more practical for daily drivers just because of availibility of parts on short notice, jump starts and things like that.

Not everyone on this site is a big time collecter with a garage full of spare parts, or even reliable acess to a car trailer in case of part failure and breakdown.

Its a different system on the same topic, but i would love to get rid of my weak, unreliable vacuum wipers.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 12:59
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If your engine has good manifold vacuum, your vacuum booster pump is in good condition, and the wiper motor is in good repair and properly and periodically lubricated, it should perform very, very well. I know there are lovers of electric conversions but the vacuum systems on both my cars (34 and 56) work well, even in brutally heavy rain.

Perhaps your motor needs lubrication, or service. If the latter, I strongly recommend Ficken Wiper Service. Typical rebuild is in the range of $65 or so last time I inquired. Others on this website have also used Ficken and were very pleased with the results.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 13:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
used Ficken and were very pleased

Agreed. Current price is $99 plus $8 shipping. 2-3 wks turnaround when mine done couple of months ago.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 13:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved