Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
35 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 33

37Blanche, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bumperette Decals
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi All,
Just received the pieces for my front bumper back from the platers. Gorgeous job and I will post pics once reassembled and back on the car. My question is: does anyone know where I can find digital copies on the bumperette decals?? I have scoured the net and cannot find anything usable. The bumperette has a very slight impression comprising the Packard hexagon with a circle around it. I went to the local sign shop to try and get decals made and was asked for a digital example. I recall someone saying earlier that the decals had been reproduced, which would be optimal to just be able to order them, but a digital rendering would suffice. Any help or direction much appreciated. Chris.

Posted on: 2022/5/6 14:18
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Bumperette Decals
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
usually painted with enamel

Posted on: 2022/5/6 15:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If they are just the red hexagons, would the small hubcap decal work? The PAC online store has those if they are not too big. If too big maybe you could make a pattern in the correct size and get some reflective tape or vinyl or cut down the hubcap hexes.

Posted on: 2022/5/6 16:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks John & Howard,
John, I thought of enamel, but a) the impression is so faint on the bumperette after re-chroming, that it would be hard to duplicate with a brush and b) I wasn't sure on the long term stickability of paint to chrome. I figured finding exact 'stick-ons' would be next to impossible as the bumpers/bumperettes differ so much model-to-model, year-to-year, even front-to-rear, so I decided to get out the calipers, compass and razor knife and fashion a template myself. I got what I -would call a 95-98% result, the only issue being the imperfect edges on the circles. They do, however, fit perfectly into the indentations on the bumperettes and I will take this back to the decal joint and see if they can scan them, clean them up, and produce some decals. FWIW, the OD of the outer black circle surrounding the hexagon is 2 1/2" and is a fat 1/4" 'thick'; the 'width' of the hexagon is +/- 1 1/4". I will obviously get the red to be a better match to Packard and the price of a dozen sets of these would be the same as 2, so if they would be of any use to anyone out there, let me know and I'll mail a set to you no charge. The bumperette is off a 1939 Six, front bumper. Chris.

Attach file:

jpg  2022_05_06_0903R.JPG (167.08 KB)
121627_62759693aacd8.jpg 1773X1182 px

Posted on: 2022/5/6 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If they ground that much away then perhaps you took it to the wrong plater! The ring and hex should be very distinct impressions rather than virtually invisible hints. Have you looked for an NOS one?

Posted on: 2022/5/6 17:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
No Don, I didn't take it to the wrong plater! The impressions were vague to begin with and were almost imperceptibly less distinct after plating. Irrespective, I didn't see trying to paint them as something I would want to do for the stated reason of paint sticking to chrome, and a good quality decal seems like a better option.

Posted on: 2022/5/6 19:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
while I agree that paint to chrome is not optimal for adhesion, that is how it was originally done. Mine have held up well for over ten years. Decal to chrome is not great for adhesion either.

Posted on: 2022/5/6 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Bkazmer,

Yes, I understand that a lot of them are painted, in fact mine were, prior to rechrome, but 98% of it had chipped off and the remaining paint could be flicked off with a fingernail, which was why I thought I'd try decals. I view that kind of painting as a semi art form and I simply don't have the hand or the eye for it. I would have to find a sign painter and between time and price, it isn't a viable option. I do a fair bit of business with the decal shop and I'm thinking they might not even charge me for a few sets of small decals. Chris.

Posted on: 2022/5/6 19:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved