Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Anonymous
Re: Authenticity vs. Modification
wont work - turboman - your "playing dumb" wont cut it with me. I know you are smart enough to understand how gear ratios are selected for their relationship to road speeds

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Hey look, I'm getting lectured by Asparagus.

Pot meet Kettle. It is Black.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
39super8

speaking as (I figure) the youngest person on this forum, not only are some of us young people involved in Packards, Some of us are interested in authenticity and history too!

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:11
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Don, get used to it with Petey, you have to follow the rules when dealing with him.

Rule #1, Petey's V12 is the fastest, greatest Packard in the world, bar none.
Rule #2, You will never own a Packard as good as Petey's V12.
Rule #3, You will never own a Packard as fast as Petey's V12.
Rule #4, You will never KNOW as much about Packards as Petey.
Rule #5, You will never be as smart as Petey.
Rule #6, Petey will always try to make you LOOK smart, as he's knocking you down.
Rule #7, Petey will always come back, he has cockroach tendencies.

Now that we know the Rules, maybe we all could please follow them now!

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, I'm glad I started this thread; with the exception of the personal sniping I've enjoyed all the comments and respect people's various views. Hopefully like the bubonic plaque the sniping will run it's course and we can continue to exchange constructive thoughts on our hobby.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Wait a minute Owen, "I have not yet begun to defile myself."
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Owen,

I apologize for nothing. Your "topic" is a veiled hornets nest of US vs. Them if I ever saw one. You can prance around it all you want, your hands are just as dirty.

When you poke the bear with a stick, don't get surprised when you get clawed.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I originally posted this in the 12v conversion thread but since I'm a glutton for punishment, more appropriate here.

This thread and the companion Authenticity vs Modification one was sure to open old wounds. Will throw my opinion in as well. I also believe in authenticity up to a point.

The point being when it reaches a stage where a vehicle and lack of a feature is not enjoyable to it's owner for whatever reason. Examples would be something we have all gotten used to and yes, spoiled by having but the item is not available for 6v --- or a mechanical component either NLA at any price or cost prohibitive for the current owner to repair so original is held together by bailing wire and prayer -- and may not be the safest or most reliable thing to have anyway. And to answer a comment sure to come, yes he could always sell it and find something more desirable but why should he have to.

I, as well as many others, have memories of the 4-40 or 6-60 air conditioning of the 40 and 50's and don't really wish to relive that particular memory. If an aftermarket vendor would make available a decent but halfway period correct--or any for that matter-- 6v AC system, am almost positive about 90% of the desire for 12v conversions would go away. It appears one vendor is now trying to help a tiny bit in the audio category with a 6v no mod adapter for an iPod or the like but that still leaves lots of modern things or conveniences we've gotten used to where there is no alternative short of doing without. Thankfully, except for the AC, a 6 to 12 V inverter will solve most of those audio issues if used with the no mod item above and give a very enjoyable period feel.

As to mechanical, well lets just say that the days of stopping on the side of the road and fixing something or having a good samaritan help out or even being towed in has also lost it's lustre.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
But without 12V I can't have my 1,000,000 watt amplifier in the trunk blaring out "Moon River" while I'm cruising!

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

IrishPackard
See User information
'God forgive me for I know not what I'm doing', comes to mind! But here goes.

I rescued my beloved Packard from the crusher. No dynamo, carb, no starter, a worn out engine and no hope.

I knew NOTHING about Packards, nil. I did what I could to get it on the road, I dont have bottomless pockets.

Now many (reversable) mods later, I get paid to drive my Packard at least 90 days of the year.

I do what I have to do.

Ok, start stoning me now!

Pat.

PS, I am now the proud owner of a amazingly restored hood mascot, you know, the birdy one! (i am afraid to say what type of bird as I seem to be wrong in both camps!

Attach file:

jpg  (140.44 KB)
1195_49e0f187d0623.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/11 14:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved