Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Should I Make the Trade?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packardfan
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Broken parking pawls seem to be a very common problem on that transmission. It's like that on my car too. I don't know why... whether they just break easily, or somehow wear out over time. As you have seen they have very good brakes (aside from being susceptible to brake fade) so as long as the parking brake works properly it will never actually be a problem.

The red one seems pretty good for the money assuming they're in comparable mechanical condition. For most of the car, attaching trim is not hard. Just make sure it has the hubcaps.

Thanks for all the info. The red one does not run and I am waiting on a reply for what is the issue. I like the ultra marine and moonstone stock one but if the redone can get up and running easily that 4k is a big difference. I like to keep things stock colors and trim, I definition like the blue more for that.

Are there any other things you guys recommend I check out next time I see it? Any problem rust areas that could have been covered up? Thanks again!

Posted on: 2022/5/8 14:21
-Mike

1955 Packard 400

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I used to have some NOS pawls and probably still do in case you get the car and find you need one!

Posted on: 2022/5/8 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
On my car the rust is in the 4 fenders/rockers, and at the bottom of the panel under the fuel door. Check around the rear shelf for rust / water damage. Other than that they seem to be pretty solid. For Cali cars I would expect very little rust aside from around the leaky spots (as mentioned earlier). See pictures below (obviously, aside from the fuel filler, the points are symmetrical even though only one is shown).

Though I don't actually know, it seems that Packard used thicker steel than some of their rivals, so the cars tend to not rust out as easily. Even where I have rust holes in my car, the surrounding area still feels solid.

P.S. Be sure that the red one doesn't "just barely" run and drive; in other words, $8500 is overpriced for a car that may need the whole brake system redone, carb rebuilt, etc. in the near future.

COMMON RUST SPOTS:
Click to see original Image in a new window

COMMON LEAKY SPOTS / WATER DAMAGE AREAS:
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2022/5/8 15:10
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Just a note that it is a misconception that a California car is always from a dry environment. In fact, California runs the gamut of climates and micro-climates with some areas being very wet and humid. There are dry areas, of course, but not state-wide!

Posted on: 2022/5/8 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I meant that it's warm so there's no road salt, not that there's no rain

Posted on: 2022/5/8 16:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packardfan
See User information
I am going to go back and check out the Packard again Thursday with my uncle. In your guy's opinion how much do you think this Packard is worth? remember I am in San Diego California. I might just try to buy with cash and keep truck or sell on side later. You guys are awesome thank you for all your help!

Posted on: 2022/5/9 6:47
-Mike

1955 Packard 400

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
One thing I don't see mentioned here is that the blue car has some serious delam in the windshield, just below the driver's line of sight. That would drive me nuts and won't get better with age. This isn't something you take to Safelite and two hours later have fixed.

I'd rather drive the Packard, but trucks are hot and you have something simple and ready to go as is. If you put the same money in the truck that the Packard needs you'd probably be miles ahead of the Packard, sell and buy a much nicer Packard.

If it were me I'd probably try to get at least 2-4k cash in trade for the truck from what I see. That is a nice looking Packard but could become a rabbit hole quick.

Good luck,

Mike

Posted on: 2022/5/9 6:58
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
That's about what I was thinking. I would say around 9k would be a fair price for the blue Packard in today's market, based on a few recent sales of similar cars.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 8:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packardfan
See User information
Quote:

MJG wrote:
One thing I don't see mentioned here is that the blue car has some serious delam in the windshield....

I looked and correct me if I am wrong but a replacement could cost as much as $550?

Quote:

If you put the same money in the truck that the Packard needs you'd probably be miles ahead of the Packard, sell and buy a much nicer Packard

I was thinking the same thing but I like being the one bringing something back to life. It gives me time to really know it..I cant be the only one right?!LOL.

Quote:

I'd probably try to get at least 2-4k cash in trade for the truck

Ya I think I am really leaning towards making a offer in cash and selling the truck separately, I dont know though

Quote:

could become a rabbit hole quick.

This is my biggest fear.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 9:49
-Mike

1955 Packard 400

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Quote:

Packardfan wrote:
Quote:

MJG wrote:
One thing I don't see mentioned here is that the blue car has some serious delam in the windshield....

I looked and correct me if I am wrong but a replacement could cost as much as $550?

Quote:

If you put the same money in the truck that the Packard needs you'd probably be miles ahead of the Packard, sell and buy a much nicer Packard

I was thinking the same thing but I like being the one bringing something back to life. It gives me time to really know it..I cant be the only one right?!LOL.

If someone gave you the windshield and you did it yourself - probably ~$400 for the rubber. I've never done one of these but, there are a number of threads on this and it sounds like a real bear.
If you pop it out... paint good enough to not do over?? Is it original paint that is salvageable? Looks like fogging in paint but, pictures are poor.

Then the fabric on the front seat.. you have new paint now. Now you have to deal with SMS (search that here). Maybe you'll get the fabric in a year after you offer up your first born to expedite the process.

I'm a lost cause addict myself... just know what your getting into. The presentation and storage are poor. That is always cause for pause for me. Transmission was gone through but, won't stay in park. Some math doesn't work for me. This is one I'd lowball. I don't think you'll have a lot of competition until the price is south of $8-9k.

Mike

Posted on: 2022/5/9 10:56
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved