Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Should I Make the Trade?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packardfan
See User information
Quote:

paint good enough to not do over?? Is it original paint that is salvageable? Looks like fogging in paint but, pictures are poor

He said it was original everything, but cant guarantee, I think I can get at least a little color to come out. How can you tell if it is original paint, everything looked continuous in door jambs, fire wall etc...

Quote:

Then the fabric on the front seat.. you have new paint now. Now you have to deal with SMS

Just looked it up, If I end up getting it I will just roll it the way it is until I am done getting everything tuned in. that SMS is for when I really start to get it dialed in. I plan on slooooowly cleaning, chroming, or replacing one thing at a time while I can still drive it.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 12:46
-Mike

1955 Packard 400

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
You can check the codes on the VIN plate to compare the paint color to the factory color, and at least see if they match.

This car could be a good buy if you like it for what it is. Don't plan on doing stuff like fixing upholstery after you buy it because for $20k you can buy one in excellent shape. But if you don't care about moderate imperfections then it could be a good buy.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 13:11
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packardfan
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
You can check the codes on the VIN plate to compare the paint color to the factory color, and at least see if they match.

This car could be a good buy if you like it for what it is. Don't plan on doing stuff like fixing upholstery after you buy it because for $20k you can buy one in excellent shape. But if you don't care about moderate imperfections then it could be a good buy.

I am going to check the plate when I go on Thursday or just ask him to take a close up pic. How much would you say it would cost to redo the front seat doors and carpet?

Posted on: 2022/5/9 13:48
-Mike

1955 Packard 400

Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packardfan
See User information
On a side note...How are the 53-56 packards not sought after as much. The first time I seen one was last week and I love these things now. The rarity of them for sale also gets me, I have een searching CL for all the close states and there is almost nothing in that year range, especially 400 coupes. All year Carribeans are amazing looking cars.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 13:57
-Mike

1955 Packard 400

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
The 1953 Packards have the flathead straight-8 and either the overdrive or the standard Ultramatic, which are all relatively troublefree and work well, but it is all pre- mid-1950's tech, e.g. not a V-8 and not a 3-speed automatic, so not fast (though faster than you might think) and not something many mechanics know how to deal with (other than recommending an LS swap). 6-volt electrics though easy to swap over if you really want to. My 1953 actually handles very well for it's size and is a fun car to have, can drive it on the freeway fine, can keep up with modern traffic if I need to, and is no trouble to drive around town or even trips to San Francisco. Most people are not that enamored with the styling, but I think it looks pretty good. The 1951-52's have somewhat plainer styling than the 1953's and didn't have an available 4-barrel carb, so a bit slower, but otherwise the same comments apply.

The 1954 Packards often have the Gear-Start Ultramatic, which can be more troublesome, same comments otherwise as with the 1953's.

The 1955-56's came with the V-8 and 12-volt electrics, a more powerful if a rare engine, and various versions of the Twin-Ultramatic, which was an evolution of the Gear-Start, more sophisticated than the original Ultramatic but also troublesome and even more unusual, and still not as advanced as say, a 3-speed Torqueflite or (even better) a 700R4. It's somewhat common for folks to adapt a 700R4 or 4l60E transmission to one of these via the available Berendtsen adapter kit. Most people think the 1955-56 styling is very good.

Interiors as well as paint can be re-done with various levels of authenticity. Any local upholstery shop could re-do the seats and the carpet, but the only source for authentic or near-authentic upholstery that I know of is SMS in Oregon, who are kinda hard to deal with and have long lead times. I got my fabric from Lebaron-Bonney (now out of business), which was not quite authentic but of similar character. But if you don't require authenticity there is a lot of fabric out there that will do.

Note - from what I understand, if you have the Twin-Ultramatic rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing, e.g. Ross or a few others, it works well, or even if someone just takes the time to go through the service bulletins and pay attention, it is not that complicated, but not easy to find someone.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 14:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Quote:

Packardfan wrote:
On a side note...How are the 53-56 packards not sought after as much. The first time I seen one was last week and I love these things now. The rarity of them for sale also gets me, I have een searching CL for all the close states and there is almost nothing in that year range, especially 400 coupes. All year Carribeans are amazing looking cars.

Most all here will agree with you that Packard made some beautiful cars. However, most people in the US unfortunately have McDonald's taste buds. Paint your truck orange and swap it with and LS motor and run it through a televised auction. You'll see a $100k or some other stupid figure.. next up will be your Packard in that blue hue restored to perfection maybe $35-45k... if the wind is to it's back. Glad to hear more people appreciate these cars, they are great machines. Don't go in thinking you'll make money, it's a labor of love. Go into it with blinders and this car will become yet another "abandoned at the pound" and eventually parted out. Ebay is loaded with those.

Mike

Posted on: 2022/5/9 14:36
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Packardfan, on Kanter a carpet set is $219 and an upholstery kit is around $400. However, I'd heard of people spending even $10k to get their car reupholstered before so I would tread carefully.

The 55 and 56 Caribbean convertibles are very valuable compared to all of the hardtops. A hardtop selling for 10-20k would be 60-100k if it were a convertible in the same condition. Also, apparently Ross's Packard pickup conversions sell like fresh hotcakes. Safe to say the market right now is not really what an outsider may expect.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 16:13
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Quote:

Packardfan wrote:
Quote:

paint good enough to not do over?? Is it original paint that is salvageable? Looks like fogging in paint but, pictures are poor

He said it was original everything, but cant guarantee, I think I can get at least a little color to come out. How can you tell if it is original paint, everything looked continuous in door jambs, fire wall etc...

I just went back and looked at the pictures a bit better. I think it was resprayed. Look at the firewall again... the pics are poor but, I think I see blue on wires, hinges etc. I don't believe the hinges should be body color (or underside of the hood itself for that matter). Packard definitely did not spray wires. Look at this area a bit harder and then it's time for the magnet on the rest of the car.

If it was resprayed then what was the motive to not replace a delaminated windshield (didn't happen overnight.. trust me)? Long-term ownership was not the case here. If all the above is true I only give extra credit for receipts for work.

Mike

Posted on: 2022/5/9 19:47
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

MJG wrote:
Quote:

Packardfan wrote:
Quote:

I just went back and looked at the pictures a bit better. I think it was resprayed. Look at the firewall again... the pics are poor but, I think I see blue on wires, hinges etc. I don't believe the hinges should be body color (or underside of the hood itself for that matter). Packard definitely did not spray wires. Look at this area a bit harder and then it's time for the magnet on the rest of the car.

If it was resprayed then what was the motive to not replace a delaminated windshield (didn't happen overnight.. trust me)? Long-term ownership was not the case here. If all the above is true I only give extra credit for receipts for work.

Mike

That was the first thing that I noticed....I don't think the paint is original. Not the end of the world, but definitely look closely to see if anything is hiding underneath.

As was mentioned, the windshield replacement will cost more than you think. Rubber is $300-400 and a windshield can vary greatly. Not a fun task to do, but doable. The worst part is reattaching the stainless steel trim.

The interior overall isn't terrible, but shows its age. It obviously was not stored indoors. Things like the front seat and failing dash pad are evidence of that. Interiors are very expensive to replace. I'm not sure what exactly is in Kanter's interior kit mentioned above, but I can pretty much guarantee that it doesn't have everything needed to replace an interior. Correct materials from SMS are pricey, and if you have them sew up all the seat covers to correct patterns and specifications, you are well into the thousands. That's not including installation at an upholstery shop, which will be additional thousands. Door cards are another issue as well. If they are embossed (not sure if '55 was?) then SMS is the only place that can replace them correctly and you'll likely be waiting years, if you ever get them at all.

I do think the car is a nice start. But I definitely do not think it is worth was he is asking. I would feel comfortable paying $8K...maybe more if there were tons of receipts. But understand that this car will take time, love, and money in order to really bring it back to its former glory. Trust me, I'm right in the middle of doing the same. My car was in much worse shape than yours, but it has cost much more than I had originally thought in order to improve it. There are always unforeseen problems that come up....brakes, engine, trans, etc.

A rolling restoration is a nice way to do it, especially if you are not planning on doing anything to the extent of a frame-off restoration. The 400's are great cars, one of my favorites. I hope to pick one up someday.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/5/9 20:09
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packardfan
See User information
Wow! You guys are incredible, thanks a ton for all the info, I am still going to check it out Thursday but I definitely think a trade is out the window. I will bring a magnet.
I noticed a tiny bit of paint runs in the door jamb and that definitly made me think it was re sprayed, very small detail but sloppy.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 9:03
-Mike

1955 Packard 400

Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved