Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Looking for parts 288
Just popping in
Just popping in

PackRat
See User information
Looking for a oil pan just to start with.
water pump. could i put an electric eater pump and fuel pump on?
Damper. Larger cam? would like to relocate the oil filter and upgrade to screw on type. ultimately would like to put a turbo on it.
any ideas help advice?
Thank you.

also would the 52 288 have had sleaves?
mine looks as if it does.

Attach file:

jpg  packard stuck pistons.jpg (340.13 KB)
225528_62775377ac186.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/5/8 0:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Looking for parts 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have 327 pans which I believe are the same and water pump cores too. No sleeves from the factory but the gasket can make a mark that looks like a sleeve.

Not sure what larger cam would be as they are all the same size but possibly you mean lift? The lift varied between solid and hydraulic lifters so comparing those would be your best bet. Otherwise you would have to have one custom made.

The engine in your photos does not look rebuildable to me. In fact, I have never seen one where I would have thought such a thing possible!

Posted on: 2022/5/8 1:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
You might want to refer to your previous thread which you started about maximizing output from a 288. You did get some good replies.

Don has a point. I'd have that block checked out pretty thoroughly before I spent $0.02 getting it near a machine shop, especially if you're thinking of boring it. Old blocks had thick cylinders but they're old, so likely they spent a lot of time rusting the cylinders from the water jacket inward, so there may not be much to cut, and sleeving is an involved process. Involved means expensive.

I bought my first Packard 8 in eBay for $200 plus shipping, and I got lucky and got a 9-main-bearing 327. It's resting in the corner, and hot rod things may happen to it at some point. They're out there, 288s and 327s, so check around. They don't all cost a mint, either.

Posted on: 2022/5/8 5:43
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Packrat, I don't know where you are but will sell you a 327 that is waaaaaaaaaaay better than that for $300. I'm in Maryland.

Posted on: 2022/5/8 6:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Definitely look into Ross's suggestion. Can't recommend him enough.

I mean this in the kindest way, but my family has 110 year-old engines used as lawn art for the past half-century or more that I would have higher confidence in rebuilding than that. Judging by the level of pitting, you'd have to get not just the cylinders re-bored to probably 30 over, but also the valve seats and guides, and the the gasket surface milled back to smooth, not to mention obviously replacing all pistons, rings, and valves. You said you need an oil pan; does the crankshaft look that rusty too? I'm really not sure that this engine is the way to go.

P.S. Please post more pictures of the engine if you can, so we can see more what we're looking at.

Posted on: 2022/5/8 7:29
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You need way more than a oil pan. That block won't hold any amount of boosted compression. There's not enough meat there to deck it with those rust crators.
I'd return it to its under water grave.

The dilemma, spend money on putting another flattie in or upgrading at a more sensible cost if you want power.

An example of my "wrong project" rants.

Posted on: 2022/5/8 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
Packrat, I don't know where you are but will sell you a 327 that is waaaaaaaaaaay better than that for $300. I'm in Maryland.

I rode through on the seventh. If I had known, I would have waved.

I'll be back on the 21st.

I scored a 356 last spring. It was a block, crank, head, valves, and oil pan. The pan has a .75" hole in it from the inside out. Yeah, I know. Two of the valves are bent and were tough to remove. The three big pieces look okay. It currently sits in the old goat (no comments from the peanut gallery) pen in case one of the other blocks is more anchor than engine.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 4:40
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have both 5-bearing and 9-bearing 327s available that will be easy rebuilds.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 13:46
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

PackRat
See User information
prices? pics?

Posted on: 2022/5/9 20:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
They are in the Classified Ads of my Packard / IMPERIAL page linked below.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 21:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved