Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fuel Tank Interchange - 1947 Packard Custom Super Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wat, Not sure what all is in your collection so here is a Clipper chart of all models with the tank capacity noted.

The 3 not noted are probably the same as the other model with same engine or in the same column but since they are custom build models or taxis not entirely sure.

Attach file:

jpg  Clipper 2.jpg (157.44 KB)
209_627aa6ef31e7c.jpg 1800X945 px

Posted on: 2022/5/10 12:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I would have sworn that I had typed up a reply to this, but if I did, I hit the back button instead of the submit button.

So it appears that there are, basically, two sizes of petrol tanks: the SWB version at 17 gallons and the LWB version at 20 gallons. Got it. I have a LWB tank out of a super, so measuring that will be easy. I can take a SWB tank out of either the Deluxe coupe or the 6 coupe. Then we can compare notes.

But it sounds like the 20 gallon version is more what we'll want to know about to see how easily bathtub tanks will swap into Clippers. My gut says, they should.

All my cars are Clippers, and I have a variety of them, so I should be able to get some definitive measurements for each tank size/type.

Just don't hold your breath. I'm going west next month for a car show but my other days are filling fast. I may have a tractor to take delivery of.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 18:13
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Siewe
See User information
Hey Guys,
This has been invaluable information and thanks for all your responses.
I've reached out again to the manufacturer of the tank to find out if it's a 17 or 20 gallon. Will keep you posted.
If the "48" is similar to the "47" except for the fuel sending unit hole and number of bolt screws, I'll offer my old unit up to him and MAYBE we can see tanks for the "42 through 47" models!
There's hope for us all yet!
Dave

Posted on: 2022/5/10 18:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
How much are his repro tanks a-fetchin'?

Posted on: 2022/5/10 18:50
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Siewe
See User information
$750 with no shipping charges. Hey, if they are rare as hen's teeth, sounded like a deal to me!
Anything to keep the "47" rolling is a good solution.
Dave

Posted on: 2022/5/10 18:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I saw a "re-furbished" late 40s tank for sale somewhere in the last few months for $500. I'd certainly drop the extra $250 to get new stuff, given the option.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 19:02
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Siewe
See User information
An update from the manufacturer. The tank is zinc-coated galvanized steel and then powder coated black. It is a twenty-gallon unit and not the 17. Purchased the unit and with tax and delivery charges, came to $850.
Given that I've been looking for a tank for the car for over three years, it seemed a reasonable price to pay to keep the Custom running smoothly in the years to come.
Thanks to everyone for their input!
Dave

Posted on: 2022/5/12 6:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
So it's an apples-for-apples reproduction then?

It sounds like a decent tank that'll last for years.

I have a crushed '47 Super Custom tank. Not sure if I'll replace it or redo one of the parts cars tanks or part out the crushed tank car.

Posted on: 2022/5/12 9:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds like the senior model Clippers are covered and just those with the smaller model Clippers will need to figure out a fuel sender and probably need longer straps or maybe Tee bolts to mount what I believe will be a deeper tank.

I don't remember the exact configuration of the tank sender mount but perhaps the Ford 6 hole to 5 hole adapter plate will match the S-W senders Clippers use. Some Fords used the same heater type senders as the 48-50 models so possibly the mount is the same. I don't find any specs on hole circle diameters given with the adapter but Classic does have others.

The harder part will be getting the exact differences between the 17 and 20 gallon senders. Once a 17 gallon sender is compared and measured then if it is only a matter of arm length, cutting the shorter arm and adding a piece of stiff hardened wire by using a pair of crimp electrical butt splice connectors should be able to bring the arm to the correct length.

Posted on: 2022/5/12 10:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Siewe
See User information
The 48 through 50 gas tank arrived today from the manufacturer. Here are close-up pictures of the tank and sending unit mounting area.
It is well manufactured, has the Packard Whistle attachment and seems to be a great find for those that need a new tank for their Packard from this model range.

Attach file:

jpg  48 Tank 5.jpg (32.17 KB)
3967_6280ece7c799c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  48 Tank 3.jpg (28.25 KB)
3967_6280ed05803b9.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  48 Tank 1.jpg (22.56 KB)
3967_6280ed21832e4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  48 Tank 2.jpg (22.98 KB)
3967_6280ed45e4bfc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  48 Tank 4.jpg (30.19 KB)
3967_6280ed52c6d9d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2022/5/15 7:09
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved