Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51/ 52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Looking for a driver quality grill for my 51 Patrician... TIA

Posted on: 2022/5/9 11:28
 Top  Print 

Re: 51/ 52
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe they are virtually the same except the 52 has the metal drilled to accept the bezel holding the plastic crest. If you have a 51 and get a later grill you would also need to get that emblem assy or live with 3 holes. Because of the war chrome used in the 52 models, if it sat outside for a long enough time finding a grill in even passable shape may be asking a lot.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL25NO14.pdf

Posted on: 2022/5/9 11:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Thank you Sir ! You never know what someone may have stashed away in the rafters.....LOL

HotRod

Posted on: 2022/5/9 13:33
It is what it is....
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As Howard pointed out, the 1952 grille will fit 1951 but it will have extra emblem holes but also there was a difference between junior and senior grilles. Senior grilles have steel teeth inside the central oval while junior grilles do not have them. As yours is a Patrician, you need to look for a senior 1951 grille. I have some grille parts but I do not believe I have a complete grille.

Also, if you're looking for authenticity, note that 1951 and 1952 each used different turn signal lenses that by now may have gotten mixed and matched. My 1951 had one of each and, while they physically interchange and are shaped the same, they do not look alike in the way the flutes run. 1951's were radial while 1952's ran from the tip down to the base.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 14:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Thank you for the info. Totally concur with the Senior verses Junior grills. I do know that the outer grill is interchangeable with the centers. Again, not opposed to a 52. I like the crest. TIA

HotRod

Posted on: 2022/5/9 14:48
It is what it is....
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Even though I like the emblem, personally I prefer the proper grille (and the front gets a bit busy with the emblem and the block PACKARD letters on the hood) but that aside, as Howard suggested, the 1952 Korean War Chrome made 1952 cars more or less rust or corrode away so it will probably be easier to find a nice 1951 grille than a nice 1952 grille.

Some have said that it also affected some 1951 cars but if so, it was likely only later ones and none of my 1951s ever had it.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 22:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved