Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Is it reall too far gone?
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
My dad and I attempted to save a rough '38 Super block. Went through all the hot tanking, machining, etc. Got it all rebuilt and fired it up for the first time....water immediately came shooting into cylinder #2.

The corrosion was deep enough to create a few thin spots between the water jacket and critical areas (#2 cylinder wall and a couple of valve areas). The pressure blasted through those weak spots and that was it. Lots of wasted time and money.

I would recommend starting with the best block you can find. Save the salvageable parts of your current engine for use later on. A machine shop would be able to take a look and give you a better idea of whether or not they can work with it.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/5/10 20:59
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

PackRat
See User information
This is what I have a 39 Bantom and a 49 Packard Stright 8.

Planning on ending up with something like this.

Also, I'm located in North Texas if anyone has anything there willing to part with.

Attach file:

jpg  startingline.jpg (304.42 KB)
225528_627b1c68c6acd.jpg 1284X1067 px

jpg  example.jpg (123.21 KB)
225528_627b1c7c468a4.jpg 1284X678 px

Posted on: 2022/5/10 21:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I don't think that changes the condition of your parts. Talk to the guy that built that one and see what he says.

There's a guy with a '27 Chev rattie over here, and I don't think that car is "safe". Body not sound, lots of sharp metal, etc. I don't know how he got it licensed, but maybe he didn't, used the old title, etc.?
Cool doesn't have to be deadly. They gave me a tough time when I had to get a title for the P as it wasn't running. If I put it back on the street, I'd have to get plates and they'll inspect the work before issuing. So not a given.

Posted on: 2022/5/11 8:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Packrat,
I’m in Fort Worth.
I met this guy at the Pate Swap Meet.
He has Packard engines.
https://www.facebook.com/RodsNRailsDTX

Also
Did you contact the local region of The Packard Club?

There was also a post from Facebook market place and has been on Craigslist with engine blocks and parts in River Oaks.

Posted on: 2022/5/11 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
One thing to keep in mind is that if you go for a straight-8 and get one that is pre-1951, it won’t have conventional side engine mounts. Those didn’t appear until 1951.

Posted on: 2022/5/11 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
For curiosity, you could remove the pistons, which would take a lot of penetrating oil, heat, a BFH, a drill to drill into the ring seats to get kroil or something similar into the rings.

Then you can mic the bores and see how much over it is bored and have a shop do an ultra sound to determine the remaining wall thickness, or attach a chain to it and use it as a house boat anchor.

Posted on: 2022/5/11 15:22
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I was chatting with a guy in Amarillo last year about the 327 he had in his garage. That he wanted rid of. Just come and get it. It became apparent kind of quickly that I was wandering off towards 356s and that I wasn't going to Amarillo last year or this one.

I passed his contact info along to someone who wanted an engine and lost it. Something tells me he still has it.

Posted on: 2022/5/11 18:20
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved