Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

todd landis, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Would you treat another Packard enthusiast badly for having a modified Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
alot of my attitude depends on the attitude of the other person. i hate people that insult my vehicles, so i try not to be degrading. i just try to foucus on the workmanship. I usually just try to say "well, im more of an original kinda guy, but your workmanship, paintjob, interior ect ect ect is excellent". usually though, i walk past the v8-stuffed in some old iron car and go for the original ones.

however olds rearends are stupid. especially behind v12s.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 20:03
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Re: Would you treat another Packard enthusiast badly for having a modified Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
John. That Chevelle u have is a wonderful car. The 6ix cyl chevy has always been a good engine. As far as big blocks go i wouldn't have a big block chevy engine shouved up my ass. Nor Fords. Nor Chryslers.

A former girlfiend at a very nice 68 Camaro CONVERTIBLE with six/stick. Wonderful car for evening profiling, easy to work on and very economical. AND IT LOOKED GREAT!

As for sedans vs hardtops. I prefer the sedans because no one else wants them. We can buy nice sedans CHEAP. The sedans are superior for hi-speed operation.

Seriously, is the post war Packard hardtop really so much more beautiful than the Sedans????? SOmewhat prettier yes. But not alot.

If i were to go for real beauty it would be the convertibles.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 20:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Some question of legalities have come up relative to mods.

I'm curious about drinking and driving laws in OTHER countries.

It used to be that a man here in the US could drink a beer while driving down the road or maybe a little nip from a liquor bottle. Of course this assumes that he is'nt drinking a six pack or drunk. Christ, back in the 60's it wasn't unusual to see someone once in while smokeing a joint while stopped ata lite. There were even special smoke holders that resembled a large tube for bikers for holding a little something to smoke. Or passing a beer or something between motorcyclists out the road at 60 mph.
CAN"T GET AWAY WITH that NOW!!!!

So i'm curious about other countries.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 21:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
"Would you treat another Packard enthusiast badly for having a modified Packard?"

No, why treat someone bad because their choices for their car do not match mine. Heck, I'm just glad to see a Packard out and about.

The PI region here in Phoenix is really great about tolerance with all Packard enthusiasts. I really haven't met anyone who was snobbish. I strongly believe this is the only way the young crowd today will be interested in our Packards after we are gone.

As far as cruise night, well heck, guys started doing cruise nights because 1. They were tired of getting shunned at high fluting proper car shows, and 2. They want to get their cars out and run them down the road. Yes, I get some weird questions and comments at cruise nights, but hey, it goes with the territory.

Jim

Posted on: 2009/4/13 2:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I would agree with all of the discussion at this point, as we all have an interest in a line of cars with no production since 1958. I have half a dozen Packards on the road ( albeit most with the steering wheel on the wrong side), and as I get older I note that there are fewer and fewer new members coming through with the same interest, most are birthed after 1960.
I prefer original cars and have some real survivors which I reckon are too good to restore. I also have my Packard "hot-rod" which goes like stink but still doesn't stop very well after the second 100 mph run. This car was junk when I got it and I have given it another life.
I admire all cars and owners, who have the pride to actually show up at events. These are the up and coming enthusiasts of our international car movement and they should be encouraged and welcomed. I am a member of six car clubs in Australia and they are all ageing and concerned about getting new blood into the system.
I am also in an Antique motorbike Club and we are having no such problem. We have invested in a "welcome all- no matter what they ride' attitude and particularly encourage the ladies. We have gone from 100 members to nearly 300 in 4 years. We regularly get 60 riders to an outing including up to 8 Ladies at a ride.
I am convinced that we need to encourage any attendees to our car outings, to cast as wide a net as possible. I am constantly encouraged by the first thread response of a new info.com visitor.
best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2009/4/13 6:40
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

LINC400
See User information
A friend of mine thinks I should not make any negative comments about any cars. (although it is ok for him to do so). However, I think I should be allowed to express my opinion of what I think are awful modifications or ugly colors. I am just as entitled to my opinion of their car as they are entitled to their opinion of mine. However, I will not say anything negative to the owner. That is just rude and obnoxious. If I am asked to express my opinion of a car that has been hideously modified or badly restored, I would just pick an untouched part of the car and compliment it. Gee I always liked the grill, taillights, whatever, on that model. If pressed furthur to comment on modifications, I would just say that I prefer stock originals so I am probably not the best person to ask for an opinion on that.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 20:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeremy Adams
See User information
I agree, it depends on the attitude - and how tastefully done it is.

I have no problem with a modified car that someone obviously put some thought into, rather than just bolting on a bunch of stuff. Especially if it is a project that the person loves. I mean, c'mon, in the end, it is that person's car.

However, I've seen perfectly good cars completely massacred. Ever see the picture online of the Jeep Wrangler that was lowered with tiny wheels and paper thin tires? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

We're going to be guilty of modifying a Packard ourselves... but I think people will like the outcome.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 21:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved