Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 32

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Numbers on my 1950 series 23
Just popping in
Just popping in

John Wright
See User information
Wondering what the stamped #s are the bigger blue ones stamped in the body

Attach file:

jpg  20220512_204240.jpg (161.99 KB)
225439_6281a90b93de7.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20220512_204240.jpg (161.97 KB)
225439_6281a94868e0b.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/5/15 20:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Numbers on my 1950 series 23
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That's the anti-theft number and is done that way to make it impossible to grind off and re-stamp. However, it has little or no significance for registration purposes.

I am curious that there is no -5- in the body number but if it is there on the data plate, then it is indeed 1950. Otherwise it's a 1949.

Posted on: 2022/5/15 20:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
I am curious that there is no -5- in the body number...

There is no year designation on the Briggs Body tag.

Posted on: 2022/5/16 10:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
That's the anti-theft number and is done that way to make it impossible to grind off and re-stamp. However, it has little or no significance for registration purposes.

Owen_Dyneto has been compiling a database of body ID or theft proof numbers for years and I am sure would appreciate your info along with the vehicle number and motor number if you would care to share. You can send him a PM with the info if you would prefer not to post the data. If you are logged in here is a link to his profile where you will find a Send Message button to link with the message page.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/profile/userinfo.php?uid=177

Don is correct that there is no practical use for the theft proof number today as it was a number used only by the factory and almost all the records to tie a number to a particular car -- save a few that have surfaced over the years on dealer cards -- has been lost.

While not officially used for registration purposes, since it is the only number on the car that is not on something removable, sometimes an inspector will choose to use it if a car is being registered and is out of the system and old paperwork is lost. Upon inspection by DMV or other officials that non removable number has been declared more than once to be the official number and from then on appears on current registrations. My 47 is such a car that fell into that exact scenario and had the body ID number assigned by the inspector from the California Highway Patrol as the official number.

Posted on: 2022/5/16 10:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, the body serial or theft-proof numbers for the 23rd series 1950 cars ended somewhere just short of 999999, 997XXX is the highest known number (the 1951 models began at A00001). That places your car quite close to the end of the 23rd series production.

Yes, I'd very much like to have your full vehicle number and motor number if possible. Send via PM if you wish it kept confidential.

Dave

Posted on: 2022/5/16 12:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John Wright,

to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '50 23rd Series Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/5/16 19:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
So much for confidential body bits.

;)

Posted on: 2022/5/17 11:28
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Now he has options. To be or not to be - confidential.

Posted on: 2022/5/17 13:52
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved