Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
49 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 48

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48-50 hood release levers
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Does anyone know how to remove the white-ish knobs on the end of the hood levers? Can they be removed without damage?
Thanks.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/5/19 9:00
 Top  Print   

Re: 48-50 hood release levers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Being they are on a flat piece of metal, it is a good question if they can be removed without damage. Like other more permanent plastic knobs Packard used, I suspect those knobs are mounted the same way.

On other knobs, they are on a serrated or barbed support and either molded in place or in some cases were installed by having the knob at a certain warm temperature and then sliding them over the support so the teeth can bite into the soft plastic. From photos in the 48 owners manual I believe 48-50 used essentially the same arrangement as the 47 because knobs and supports are a similar shape. Because there is a slight gap between the 47 knob and metal support, I kind of think the hood might be the slide on method. The barbs or serrations displace the warm softened plastic as the knob slides on and once plastic cools around the metal the knobs are all but permanent.

You might possibly be able to warm the knobs up and pull them off without damage but wouldn't hold my breath. Too much heat and you have as mess of melted or misshapen knob. Too little and you have a cracked or broken knob. Lavine does have a vent knob labeled as a 40-47 available in many colors and on my 47 the hood and vent knobs look the same so they might be the same item. Possibly that vent knob would work if yours do become damaged.

Posted on: 2022/5/19 10:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I think they're cast so I wouldn't try unless damaged badly. They're the same material as the door knobs etc, some plastic probably bakelite or tenite.
I left mine alone they were Ok.
They'd screw off if they come off. Usually they are pushed on over a detent if they aren't cast in. If you pull off, they damage and they won't go back without glue, etc.

Posted on: 2022/5/19 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As others have said, I doubt very much that the knob can be removed as it was either molded in place or assembled very warm by machine over the barbs straight out of the mold or more likely while still in it. I am not sure the condition of yours that you need to removed the knob but I have a couple nice ones for one side that look far better than the one does in the photos.

Posted on: 2022/5/19 11:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
Thanks guys, I suspected they were designed to go on but never come off, maybe they were flexible enough when new but not after 70 years.
Much appreciated.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/5/20 3:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If they're not whole, broken, cracked, or rather crusty, in leiu of removal, you can repair with epoxy. Either make a mold and pour or use the PC7 filler, shape and sand. Paint to match.
I've wondered if anyone was going to make any knobs. I've seen a few offered but never investigated.
The steering wheel guy, Dennis at Quality Restorations may make them for you. He starts from scratch, blasts off the plastic and molds new matching plastic for the steering wheels and the P interior knobs usually match the wheel.

Posted on: 2022/5/20 9:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You may want to try and locate another hood release lever with a good knob.

Posted on: 2022/5/20 11:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
It would be nice to know how the factory made them. It certainly looks like the knobs won't come off in one piece. I have a parts car and removed the entire levers, easy enough, and I can install the "least worst" in the good car.
Gary

Posted on: 2022/5/21 8:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
One of mine is loose - it's a Clipper knob. NOw, which one? If I can remember, I can pull it off and look inside.

Were I "gluing" it back on, I'd use a dab of silicone caulk for adhesive. I love that stuff.

Posted on: 2022/5/23 18:44
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I went down and looked at mine and they're still on the car and in good shape. They're down where the sun don't shine so survived degradation. They had some minor surface crazing. Without taking off the lever, I could not do a close high power exam but I'd go out on a limb and say they're bakelite and those would be made by compression molding direct to the metal stem.
An Xray would confirm attachment and ATR IR scan would nail the plastic. But I'm fresh out of those instruments at home.
The knob shaft end is slanted 45. I doubt it was made then pushed on, because that would cause distortion on the long thin section.
I guess if push came to shove and I had to make one, I'd turn plastic rod on a lathe to the correct dimension/profile then broach a slot for lever. Then epoxy it back together, but it won't look exact(seam), but would be functional and good enough cause who's going to scrutinize your hood knobs if they're on there? If you want to get fancy, you could make out of brass then have chromed or something; polished aluminum, etc.
One could pin it like a knife handle so it wouldn't come loose over time. Otherwise, you'd have to make a mold and cast it in some catalyzed thermoset resin.

Posted on: 2022/5/24 11:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved