Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 356 engine oil plug crush washer
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I like to keep these around. Are they available from auto supply stores? Specs?

Posted on: 2022/5/24 14:01
 Top  Print 

Re: 47 356 engine oil plug crush washer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Oil plug gasket is listed in 47 parts manual under group 5.1100 and is part #111192.

You should be able to get something at Napa although maybe not with the asbestos center. Nylon washers supplied by aftermarket vendors are sometimes sold fastened on a little card on display racks and have been used. If you get something soft like the nylon make sure there are no gouges or burrs on the plug or pan mating surfaces.

Here is specs on the original.

Attach file:

jpg  gasket.jpg (99.88 KB)
209_628d35984fd5c.jpg 856X914 px

Posted on: 2022/5/24 14:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Howard always nails it with precision plus. If you use a copper washer, you can always anneal it, reuse. I hang mine from a wire over the stove flame 'til it's red, then let it cool. Copper, being soft, conforms to any micro fissures, pits to prevent seepage.

Posted on: 2022/5/24 15:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Thank all of you! I do not have a NAPA in my little town. O'Rilleys, Lowes, Advance Auto could not help.
In my research on the net, someone mentioned that Harbor Freight has copper washers. I do have a Harbor Freight, so I dropped by and found a copper washer assortment with 6 washers with 5/8 ID.
I will be driving the car to my new home which is about 3 hours from my current home. So, oil and filter change, repair of wipers, air the tires and now ready for launch.
Family is coming Friday to move 3 cars in my little fleet to their new home. The Grand Dame will lead the way.
Thank everyone and especially the Grand Master Howard...

Attach file:

jpg  copper washer assortment.jpg (165.02 KB)
74962_628d645c2189d.jpg 1442X1920 px

jpg  drain plug with copper washer.jpg (165.02 KB)
74962_628d646b6562c.jpg 1442X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/5/24 18:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
That copper washer in the photo looks to be too big to me. Maybe you need a 9/16" washer? Nothing wrong with using a nylon washer. No points will be deducted from using one. Hope your move goes well and safely.

Posted on: 2022/5/25 11:51
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
My washer on the Deluxe is too large, but I reused it anyway, unfried. I lack a stove/range flame. I did wrap the threads on the plug with Teflon tape as I was too lazy to tie into a new tube of silicone caulk.m I thought that the old truck was using oil, but it turns out that it was just leaking at the drain plug. I goop-n-tape that plug at every (5000 mile) change and it goes a full cycle without adding oil. With 213K miles. Makes me pleased.

Posted on: 2022/5/26 4:37
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved