Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

stick on labels
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am wondering if other mfgs used the stick on labels describing switch functions to the extent Packard did. To me, particularly on a high end car, this kind of labelhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/uploads/photos/14967.png is just tacky.

Doubt if Packard meant the one in the photo or the labels under the ign key on some of the 51-3 models to be permanent but apparently some owners did. I seem to recall seeing a photo of another switch label somewhere but can't remember details on that one -- maybe the TL on/off switch? At any rate can't see Cad, Lincoln or Imperial using them at all. Am I wrong in that thinking and they were a common occurrence in the day?

Posted on: 2022/5/25 10:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: stick on labels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1953 Clipper Deluxe had the label by the ignition switch which no one had ever tried to remove. It must have been durable as it was still in good condition in all the years I owned it!

Posted on: 2022/5/25 10:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Don, can you post a picture?

Posted on: 2022/5/25 11:34
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I don't think Packard intended the labels to be permanent. Rather, to be used by the new owner until he/she familiarized themselves with the operation of the device or accessory. However, they seemed to have a long life and survived for many years.

Posted on: 2022/5/25 12:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Don, can you post a picture?

Sorry, I haven't owned the car for over 40 years and back then before digital cameras and phones I took very few photos. I seem to recall, though, that the sales brochure or owner's manual shows it.

UPDATE: I don't see it there so possibly it was in a Service Counselor.

Posted on: 2022/5/25 12:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a good photo somewhere but I don't remember where it is or the exact wording. Might be in one of the Packard books but as I recall, wording is just a few words at each spot so they kept it simple.

I believe the label notes the positions and tells the driver something to the effect center is off but turning the key to the right side position is to run the car and to the left side is to be used if you want to power some accessories without the engine running.

I find it interesting that they decided to add the label to the 51s and later models because the 23rd series used the same ignition switch and I don't believe those ever had any labels.

Here is a photo showing the shape of the label but it is unreadable.

Attach file:

jpg  51 dash with key decal.jpg (45.22 KB)
209_628e7a71c6ba3.jpg 665X433 px

Posted on: 2022/5/25 13:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is one I have. I think the right position says On and Run, Radio, Access.

I love the way they make a big deal out of it, but don't show in the owner's manual.

Attach file:

jpg  Sticker.JPG (27.43 KB)
373_628eb5f24e98a.jpg 546X381 px

Posted on: 2022/5/25 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Nice guys, thanks for the pics. Looks like the right side says "IGNITION ¶ RADIO ¶ ACCESS".

Anyone know what it means by access? Maybe referring to power windows?

Posted on: 2022/5/25 18:16
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, it's the position generally known as Accessory. Access was just a short.

Posted on: 2022/5/25 18:30
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard ignition switches of that era have 3 terminals labeled:

AM for ammeter which is the same as BAT on 54 and later more modern configuration switches.
GA for gauges which is the same as modern ACC or accessory
COIL which is the same as IGN for powering the ignition circuit.

Turning to the left, only GA is on; to the right GA and COIL are both on.

That separate coil terminal is intended only for the coil to ensure nothing else powered can feed any voltage back from another point to keep the coil energized when key is turned off. All accessories were supposed to connect only to the GA terminal or another more conveniently located terminal such as the gas gauge that is directly fed from GA. That did not always happen but the main reason you would want to use the left position if just using an accessory like the radio is if the key is to the right, the coil is powered and if the points are closed the constant current thru the the closed points over even a few minutes can overheat or burn them.

Posted on: 2022/5/25 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved