Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

bertus cardinaal, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Leaf springs
Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
While inspecting my 36 120 Cov/coupe for the upcoming Packard Nationals, I found a broken rear leaf spring and I want to replace it before I make the trip to Va. I am thinking I will try all the local truck shops first.
[b]Does any one have a lead on some where that has quality leaf spring for my car? This car is a driver (not a museum [/b]display), I put an average of 1500 mile on it a year, might be more this year

Thanks Will

Posted on: 2022/5/29 12:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Leaf springs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I agree with your idea. I have had a local shop replace a number of different leaves in a few different cars. If you take the broken leaf in you can have one cut to match.
To open the set of springs remove the differential. Place a clamp on both sides of the centre bolt. With the clamps in place undo and remove the centre bolt. Replace the centre bolt with a long threaded rod (I use about a 12" long one). Tighten the threaded rod with a nut and washer on both ends leaving a long end of the rod to the top or bottom, whichever you have the most room. Remove the two clamps then unwind the nut on the long end of the threaded rod until all leaves open and all spring load is gone. Keep the leaves in order and get the broken one replaced. While they are undone clean all the other leaf surfaces and repaint. Then spray both sides with graphite spray to allow smooth action after reassembly. The assembly is the reverse of the above (stack springs, insert threaded rod, tighten threaded rod, clamp both sides of the rod, remove rod, add and tighten centre bolt, remove clamps) allowing you to reuse the centre bolt. The U bolts on the differential carry the load of the springs so the old bolt will not be over loaded/stressed through its life unless it has been corroded. If so replace it with at least a grade 5 bolt, better yet a grade 8.

Posted on: 2022/5/29 13:26
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Try spring Specialty co. in Norfolk, Va.

Posted on: 2022/5/29 13:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

wjames
See User information
Thanks for the reassurance, that was the plan, we will see how that works out
Can't find Specialty co. in Norfolk, Va.
there is a Specialty Coating, got a number?
Thanks again W

Posted on: 2022/5/29 15:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Maybe this one would work.

https://springmenders.com/

Posted on: 2022/5/29 15:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information

Posted on: 2022/5/31 10:33
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved