Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

Peter Packard, michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Watts Linkage - 1955 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
On the Watts Linkage on the rear end of the car, the pin that holds arms in place on the center bracket has come loose (see photo). Reading several posts on Packardinfo.com #1 and #2, it seems like I should be able to jack the rear of the car up and while lying on my back be able to:

1. Disconnect the both linkage arms from both ends
2. Remove the bracket on the center of the car which is bolted to the frame
3. Alter a steel bolt and nut such that the head and nut are thinner replacing the pin which has come loose.

At which point it should be able to use the modified bolt/nut reinstall the center bracket with the linkage installed on the bracket. Connect the arms to the studs on the axel.

Now the question of the day is where have I gone wrong and how hard will it be to accomplish the above?

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4098[1].JPG (186.47 KB)
1063_6294115ec87ff.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/5/29 19:35
 Top  Print 

Re: Watts Linkage - 1955 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is easier to remove and replace the watts linkage with the axle not hanging so jack the car up and put jack stands under the axle. Unbolt the thing. See if you can jockey the parts back together. You do not want to replace the pin with a bolt as it has shoulders to maintain suitable spacing. You can drill and tap it to take a button head bolt or do as I do: Squeeze the two plates together til they are seated on the shoulder. Make two little tack welds on the edge of the pin and douse the thing with water before the rubber has a chance to cook.

Posted on: 2022/5/30 7:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I removed the Watts Linkage hardware today. The hardware in the center bracket is different than what Ross had portrayed (See photo). So I’m guessing that when the car was restored in it’s past they made the changes. The holes in the two side pieces are ½” and the two separators are just over ½” in diameter, with a 3/8” hole in the middle and 1.18” long. A 3/8” bolt whose head was modified and a thin nut was used the hold the hardware together.

I’ll make separators out of 5/8” stock with shoulders to maintain the distance (Is 1.2” correct?) and use button bolts to hold it together as I don’t have a welder.

Attach file:

jpg  Watts Linkage.JPG (407.67 KB)
1063_6296a5471f322.jpg 1599X1432 px

Posted on: 2022/5/31 18:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I made the two spacers (see photo) for dimensions and used 5/16 X 24 button bolts. Since the holes in the arms were 1/2" I needed to use a washer. Because of the washer, most of the bolts head needed to be ground off.

If I were to tackle this problem on another car or suggest a bolt situation to someone, my approach would be the use a SS 1/4" X 28 bolt, a thin washer and grind the head down to the point where there was enough clearance.

BTW I used red locktite on the threads and with the TL Issue (Another post on this site) fixed we drove the car to a local show yesterday afternoon/evening.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_4106.JPG (143.69 KB)
1063_629cc07198ec7.jpg 1920X1411 px

Posted on: 2022/6/5 9:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved