Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Time for AirCon
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks for the offer Jack. Anyone thinking about AC for their Packard V8 should get the original bracket regardless of what kind of compressor is planned for use. The only reason i made my own bracket 8 years ago is because none of the vendors had one. THEN, about 2 months later i found one ata Studebaker meet. The original OEM bracket design is a perfect base to attach any other bracket/pump.

Here is a link to a pic on this website of a 55 with factory air. I have yet to see or hear of any 55-56 Packards with the heavy duty radiator. The pic below shows the standard radiator.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=4694&cid=57

Posted on: 2009/4/14 7:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I bought a "swamp cooler" like yours in 1965 to help my 33 Rolls-Royce limo get across the Mojave desert. I think it was a Sears, but can't remember for sure. Fortunately the Rolls had 12v, which was standard for the big Rolls. It was a great help in the dry climate, useless in the East

Posted on: 2009/4/14 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Friend Chris, who put the underseat heater in his 56 Caribbean, has a four-tube radiator with his AC. All parts were taken off a 56 Patrician. I have a four-tube with my Caribbean. Previous owner described it as a "parade" radiator. I have never heard anyone else use that terminology.

Attach file:

jpg  (138.36 KB)
23_49e4fe69281d0.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (132.29 KB)
23_49e4fea4c24a8.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/14 16:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Randy,

Classic Auto Air has an easy installation air conditioning unit that uses a micro-finned radiator.
The unit really works. I have had it for three years.
It is in my Patrician.
Jerry

Attach file:

jpg  (54.41 KB)
1278_49ee5cdf2951d.jpg 900X675 px

jpg  (137.86 KB)
1278_49ef17257eb08.jpg 900X675 px

jpg  (71.52 KB)
1278_49ef17b600056.jpg 900X675 px

Posted on: 2009/4/15 6:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Jerry's post about the Classic Auto Air unit is spot-on. I have the condenser unit (double-layer, micro-coil) mounted at an angle, at about the level of the bottom of the radiator, in the splash pan area. There's plenty of room and, as the unit has its own highly efficient condenser fan, there's plenty of airflow. These units are designed so that they can be mounted (and hidden) nearly anywhere. The only, "improvement," that I decided to make to mine was to use tar tape to seal around the open gap between the stacked coils as I noticed, during mock-up testing, that about half the airflow was being blown out from between the coils (there's about 3/4 of an inch between the two) around the open outside edges rather than being blown through the second coil layer. I am running a Sanden (R-134) compressor mounted on the stock Packard bracket that formerly held the LeHigh compressor. When I got my car the old compressor was in the trunk, frozen, and although the old condenser and dryer were still in place - someone in the distant past had butchered/removed the refrigerant lines. The unit works exceptionally wall and is more than capable of cooling the interior of a '55 Pat in city traffic during Florida summers. This coming summer will be its third in service.

Posted on: 2009/4/15 15:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
The swamp coolers were made for dry climates. the idea was that the moisture they put in the air helped with the cooling. in any other region the were not very effective.

if you realy want to be able to use the " cup holders " you could use a "dealer add-on" type trunk mounted unit.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 18:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yup those Swap Coolers only work good in the South West. Actually my house does not have central air, so we use a swamp cooler (aka Evaporative Cooler) to cool the entire house. Works very (except on humid days), and is cheap to run.

You see lots of the "low-rider" style classic cars around here with the window-mounted JATO style ones.

Posted on: 2009/4/17 22:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
Hey PackardV8, sorry for the delay. Been real hectic here. I will look tomorrow and post it for you.

Hope everyone is well and jolly!

Thomas & Jennifer

Posted on: 2009/4/18 19:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

T&J's 1956
See User information
I looked everywhere on it. It says "Sears" and "Allstate" on the front and "for replacement parts and service" on a sticker on the back. If you want close up pixs I will do that for you.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 12:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't think Sears has ever made anything--just contracts out & specifies a few differences. Puts their name on a sometimes stripped down version of one the manufacturing company is selling alongside. Kenmore by Whirlpool, Norge, Frigidaire et al and Allstate by Kaiser-Fraser. Wonder if a manufactured by K-F tag was on that car.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 13:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved