Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Radiator thermostat rebuilds
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nivek123
See User information
Does anyone know where i can send my radiator thermstat to have it rebuilt ?
It is the thermostat that is spring loaded that opens and closes the radiator shutter

Posted on: 2022/6/3 9:16
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Radiator thermostat rebuilds
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If no one else has someone they can specifically recommend, do a google search for Sylphon thermostat repair. There are some vendors that show up offering repair and/or sell new/rebuilt units. There are also a couple of sites with details and step by step info from individuals who have repaired their own.

Posted on: 2022/6/3 9:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Radiator thermostat rebuilds
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
My experience with the sylphon.

There were recommendations to have Automotive Restorations of NJ rebuild it, but they must cater to the Amelia and Pebble crowd because their price they quoted this morning was $795 to rebuild a 1940 sylphon. Why not make it an even $800, guys? Pretty outrageous considering you have to provide the core and a brand new one from Max is $400 with gasket, no core required. Looking at these step-by-step instructions, we'll probably rebuild our core ourselves, since we have 2, when we have nothing left to do. That day has not arrived as yet.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/how-to/thermostat-1.cfm

We bought the Max Merritt repro. But I didn’t know that Tbirdman suggested this:
Jim Otto 865-966-9494 can repair thse. About a one week turnaround for about $200. The repo one I had bought, the flange was much larger than the original one.

Yes I’m still about $200 unhappy that I didn’t know about other alternatives.

Posted on: 2022/6/3 11:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved