Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 83

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

31 Gear Shift Lever
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
One unresolved issue with my 31 has to do with the gear shift lever. The lever can rotate to the left and right, such that the knob can travel a 180 degree arc from one side of the dash to the other. It goes into gear, but sometimes it's difficult to find the gear amid the rotation of the lever. Any thoughts about what the problem is?

Posted on: 2022/6/5 7:41
 Top  Print 

Re: 31 Gear Shift Lever
Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
I don't know your car, but it sounds like you might be missing the pivot pin. Does your car have screw on cap to retain the shifter? If so, you may be able to unscrew it and look at the ball of the shifter and see if there is a provision (hole) for a horizontal pin that would go from left to right.

Something has to limit the rotation of the shifter.

Posted on: 2022/6/5 9:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
This is off a Pierce, but it shows the basic idea

Attach file:

jpg  PA shift tower1.jpg (177.41 KB)
181435_629cc4250515e.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/6/5 9:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Here is the ball end of a '38 Twelve shifter with the pin.

Attach file:

jpg  Packard shift lever.jpg (159.41 KB)
181435_629ccb597cf31.jpg 1672X1254 px

Posted on: 2022/6/5 10:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I didn't check to see how far back pin #186780 was is use, but here's some dimensional info on that pin as used in the senior transmissions 1933-36 and probably later. Perhaps this will be helpful.

Attach file:

jpg  186780 trans pivot pin.jpg (61.03 KB)
177_629dfa03ae85d.jpg 970X1141 px

Posted on: 2022/6/6 8:00
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

TJH
See User information
Think you're missing a steel stamping which encircles the ball at the bottom of the shift cane. The tang at the "three o'clock" position, in this photo, fits in a groove in the ball on the shift cane, and there are two raised areas in the steel stamping which are clamped and located in the shift lever housing. A '37 and the '38 shown are slightly different. A working '30 or '31 shift mechanism will give you what you need. Best regards, Tom Hartz
Wasn't able to post the photo I edited to show the part. Sorry, guess I just hope my description will help. If not, I'm in the directories for
PAC, ACD, and CCCA.

Posted on: 2022/6/6 15:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The guide pin started in 1932. As mentioned above, before that they had "guide washers" depending on transmission number for the seventh series, and a different part number for 1931.

So, the first problem is to check what trans is in the car. Do you have the non-synchro 31 four speed with short throw from second to third or is something else in there?

Next do you even have the correct shifter? If your shifter doesn't have two bends then it is wrong. The shift nob should be on the horizontal.

One thing about those senior Packards is you can't throw transmission parts from different cars in a pile and get an "as built" because they are virtually hand built.

Posted on: 2022/6/6 20:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The guide pin started in 1932. As mentioned above, before that they had "guide washers" depending on transmission number for the seventh series, and a different part number for 1931.

So, the first problem is to check what trans is in the car. Do you have the non-synchro 31 four speed with short throw from second to third or is something else in there?

Next do you even have the correct shifter? If your shifter doesn't have two bends then it is wrong. The shift nob should be on the horizontal.

One thing about those senior Packards is you can't throw transmission parts from different cars in a pile and get an "as built" because they are virtually hand built.

Posted on: 2022/6/6 20:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Many thanks for everyone's comments. Turns out I was missing the stamp steel ring that interplays with the shifter ball to produce the desired shift pattern. Thanks all!

Posted on: 2022/6/11 5:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Many thanks for everyone's comments. Turns out I was missing the stamp steel ring that interplays with the shifter ball to produce the desired shift pattern. Thanks all!

Posted on: 2022/6/11 5:42
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved