Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 134

speedster1930, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 288 Custom Eight Packard Clutch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FlippinMastaT
See User information
Hello, I've been rebuilding a 1949 288 Custom Eight engine and am getting close to firing it up. Prior to reinstalling the transmission I was hoping to replace the clutch, but am having a hard time finding a substitute from a local auto parts store. The standard specs are 10 tooth, 10'' OD and 1.125'' input shaft diameter. Does anyone have a PN that can be cross referenced as a replacement?

Also, I've read that some of the motors came with oil filters and others did not. This motor did not have the external system setup and I'm wondering if I keep it in the stock setup what the recommend oil change cycle is without a filter?

Thank you!

Posted on: 2022/6/9 8:06
 Top  Print 

Re: 1949 288 Custom Eight Packard Clutch
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The 288 was in the Eight and Eight Deluxe. The Custom Eight used the 356. Best to clarify which you seek.

Posted on: 2022/6/9 8:11
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
You can look up those part numbers on this site let hand tabs, but I don't think it'll help much.
What I recall, may have to be refaced/relined.
Check with one of the Packard parts places, won't find at the local store.
Max or Kanter, etc..

ps: '48 can be either 22 or 23 series, also.

Posted on: 2022/6/9 8:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is a Custom with the 356 engine look into clutch plates for a larger Ford F series truck. One poster said the F150 clutch will fit but he didn't specify year. The 288 engines used a different plate but our vendors should be able to supply the correct item.

Several have mentioned over the years it is far better to have an original plate relined rather than use the truck plate. Engagement is said to be much smoother with the Packard original. Might have something to do with the dampening springs in the plates.

The oil filter was standard on the 356 which used hydraulic lifters but optional on the other engines which used solid lifters. With or without a filter the Packard oil change recommendation for normal driving was change oil every 1000 to 2000 miles. Unless you are going to drive your Packard far more than most of us today I would guess that with limited mileage, as long as the oil is kept at the correct level a two to three year interval would be safe.

Posted on: 2022/6/9 9:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FlippinMastaT
See User information
Thanks for the info. I look into getting relined. Never had considered that as an option in the past.

The engine has solid lifters, so I'll go the route as you suggested.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2022/6/9 13:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
With solid lifters, it must be a different engine than the one that should be in a Custom. As far as I know, the 356 that the car is supposed to have did not have solid lifters as an option.

Posted on: 2022/6/9 13:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
A 288 is not a Custom 8, it is an Eight which uses the 10" clutch which he has measured. Unfortunately there is no modern interchange that can be sourced local. We should be able to help or if there is a local shop that does relining of brake and clutches for heavy equipment and trucks you may be able to have yours relined. Please call our Packard Department if interested. We would have the pressure plate, through out bearing and pilot bearing as well.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products.

Posted on: 2022/6/9 14:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day FlippinMastaT,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '49 Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/6/9 15:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I am using synthetic oil in my 1946 with the 282 and no oil filter, and I'm going with changing the oil every 500-1000 miles. I'm guess that it'll likely be every year. I wouldn't allow oil to stay in the crankcase more than a year. One word: condensation. You'll never get the engine warm enough to vaporize any water in the crankcase unless you're having a catastrophe.

You really do need a scorecard to keep up with Packard's Movable Feast of names and nomenclature. I think it was part of their charming "marketing" strategery which was one of the causes of its demise.

Posted on: 2022/6/10 4:58
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved