Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 114

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

TL system on a ‘56
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Chapman
See User information
The feed to my stop light switch has no voltage, so my brake lights and TL system are not working. I checked the 30A fuse by the solenoid and it’s OK. Where is the 7.5A fuse located? If that checks to be OK, then what do I check?

Posted on: 2022/6/10 13:39
 Top  Print 

Re: TL system on a ‘56
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 7 1/2 amp fuse is on another short pigtail connected to the same long copper buss bar that the 30 amp fuse is using to feed the BAT terminal on the solenoids. The 30 amp fuse feeds both the solenoids and the 7 1/2 amp fuse which then goes on to supply power to the brake light switch.

If you have power to the solenoids thru the 30amp and the 7 1/2 amp fuse is good and still no power to the brake switch, sometimes the plastic fuse holders bite the dust as does the stock round connectors in the sort of plug that goes on the prongs of the original 3 terminal brake light switch.

Posted on: 2022/6/10 13:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Chapman
See User information
Ok - thanks. So the wire coming out of the 7.5 amp fuse is the same one the goes to the brake light switch? Any other intermediate stops along the way?

Posted on: 2022/6/10 14:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nope. Should be a purple wire from the 7 1/2 amp fuse direct to the brake switch.

The dark green brake light feed and light green TL control sw feed coming from the brake switch both have stops shortly after leaving the switch. Brake light feed goes thru the turn signal switch and TL control switch feed goes thru the suspension on/off and, if the optional manual control sw is installed, also thru that switch.

Posted on: 2022/6/10 15:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Chapman
See User information
Thanks again. Unfortunately it is clear someone’s been through this before. All my leads are black. I checked continuity from the fuse to the wire - no continuity. Don’t have a clue why. The lights and TL were working before, so I’m really stumped. Looks like I’m in for some detective work. I’ll let you know when I uncover the mystery.

Posted on: 2022/6/10 18:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does the car still have the original 3 terminal brake switch or has it been converted to a 2 terminal switch and a relay? If it has a 2 terminal switch the power is probably going to the relay first.

Posted on: 2022/6/10 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Chapman
See User information
Still has the 3 way switch

Posted on: 2022/6/10 20:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
One of those wires on switch is hot.

Packard is purple..

Like h. Said.

The wire at 7.5 fuse should be at switch.

If you have long test leads. See which one at switch is that wire and mark it. That's hot.

At the fuse. One lead goes to solenoid.. Hot.

The other down to brake switch.

Posted on: 2022/6/11 1:27
Riki
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
Hi: I have new mecahnical brake ligt switches if you need one. Price is $85.00 including postage. Dwight Heinmuller

Posted on: 2022/6/24 16:32
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved