Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 37 115C fuel system woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Concerned to hear you had a non-vented cap, if you avoided tank damage consider yourself lucky.

How was pin supposed to be secured?

It's press-fit. Which baffles me because both pins looked to be the same diameter and fit exactly the same.

But the new pin was aluminum. The old one steel, I just discovered.

Posted on: 2022/6/12 18:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
So this week I'll drop the pan (for the very first time) and retrieve the parts. Hopefully no other damage has been done.

Maybe before dropping the pan you can try one of those long magnets made just for the purpose. It might save a lot of time!

Parts like that in the pan are unlikely to cause any damage and my 1965 Cadillac had a piece of the dipstick in there for many years with no harm done.

Posted on: 2022/6/12 19:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Be glad you didn't have a Packard V8, on them the arm drops into the timing gears and chain, usually damaging them and often damaging the fuel pump eccentric.

Don't recall ever working on a factory pump where the pin wasn't firmly secured by one means or another.

Posted on: 2022/6/12 19:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
She's back together but still on the lift. Didn't need to pull the pan completely, just enough to get in there and fish out the arm. Also found one of my valve keepers that I dropped when reassembling the valves last year. Minor damage to the spring support on the fuel pump arm, had to take that apart and repair it.

As long as she's on the lift I'll take care of a few other things after I take some ibuprofen.

Posted on: 2022/6/18 11:05
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved