Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 288 Straight 8 Break In
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FlippinMastaT
See User information
Hello,
Just finished rebuilding a 1949 288 Straight 8 engine and have fired it up. I'm going to run the break-in procedure next and since this motor is more unique than what I have rebuilt in the past I wanted to ask for any recommendations.

On previous motors I have initially gotten the engine up to temp, then increased RPM's to 2000 for 5 minutes, then increased RPM's to 3000 for 10 minutes, then decreased RPM's to 2000 for another 5 minutes. Shut off and change oil.

Any recommendations for this specific Packard flat head would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2022/6/15 10:54
 Top  Print 

Re: 1949 288 Straight 8 Break In
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard had a recommendation in the 51-4 service manual which used the same engine of simply running the reconditioned engine at a steady speed until it was at operating temp. They don't mention a need for the other steps but as long as the first run to temp followed the RPM recommendation I doubt the extra would hurt.

Attach file:

jpg  engine.jpg (171.54 KB)
209_62aa096b33167.jpg 1408X1122 px

Posted on: 2022/6/15 11:32
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FlippinMastaT
See User information
Thank you!

Posted on: 2022/6/15 13:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That's also why the carburetor should be using the correct fast idle setting. On the updraft cars they had the side oilers that were governed by the choke because updraft carburetors didn't have the fast idle cam.

Posted on: 2022/6/15 22:39
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
When they put the engine upgrade kit (including new barrels, pistons and rings) on my big Harley, they ran it a bit and drove it around the lot and gave it to me to break in. They said to avoid steady constant speed, full throttle acceleration, and to keep it under 3000 RPM. I did all that plus used a thing I had read online about driving it in 3rd gear (out of 6) and running it up to the 3K number and then letting it slow down to around 2K and then to do this again. And again. The man's theory is that it allows the rings to have moderate pressure applied to them from both directions, so to speak, to aid their seating. After 500 miles, I took it back for a final tune and they got some impressive torque numbers out of it on the dyno.

I just finished doing my 282 engine break-in. The guy who built it and from whom I bought it drove like an old woman, so I didn't worry about what he had done (or not done) much. I made it a point to do some of those accel/decel things in high, basically between 25-40/45 MPH. I don't have anything else, like another Packard, to compare it to at the moment, but it does seem to be a happy engine. I'm happy with it, let's put it that way.

I try to stay away from 3000 RPM and would during the break-in period, especially. Save that for horsing around once it's dialed in and has (at least) 500 miles.

Or drive it like you stole it. It's yours, after all. 'Murrika!!!

Posted on: 2022/6/16 6:06
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Does it have a partial oil filter or none?

Since you didn't offer what bearings & oil used, clearances, milling work that was done, prep lube used, etc., I think that ~20+ minutes of running isn't enough to require a break in oil change. That's not many revolutions. I'd suggest the 500 mile mark. Maybe less if no oil filter.
If filter, I'd check the reservoir and see if it's clear or has that grey cast of new metal before I'd dump it. Definitely don't want that abrasive traveling around in the motor. And if it settles out in the pan, then it can dislodge and bite at any time.
I'd monitor it for noise, oil appearance, leaks, etc for the first 6 months.
Frankly, I don't know of any bona-fide reports comparing engine life vs break-in procedure for any gasoline motor. It's just something that came about from the manufacturers from engine testing and I guess to minimize warranty claims. Hey, you didn't follow the break in procedure, not covered...
Wiebull distribution and reliability data says that faults occur more in the beginning and near the end. So there is some logic to being careful with "breaking" in. You really don't want it to break, more so operate properly.

Posted on: 2022/6/16 10:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Inquiring minds want to know: how goes the break-in???

Posted on: 2022/7/5 19:52
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved