Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Jay Leno's 56 Caribbean Convertible
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Actually they merged in 1954.

They merged in 1954? I understood that Packard BOUGHT Studebaker rather than merged with them. Perhaps a matter of semantics in this case but a purchase and a merger are two entirely different legal processes.

Posted on: 2022/6/17 17:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
One hugely misunderstood feature of these push-buttons was a thing called "Automatic Park." Whenever the ignition switch was switched "off", a second or so later, the transmission would automatically go into "PARK" position. This was in fact an early electronic anti-theft feature. People who never took the time to read the owner's manual (including tow truck drivers and mechanics) would push the "NEUTRAL" button with the ignition switch off and expect the transmission to go into "Neutral". Then get upset that the transmission was still in "PARK" (as it was designed to be). This resulted in false rumors that these transmissions were prone to locking in "PARK". Yessssss, I know some did.

It's still on Recent Photos at this time but I just want to point out that from the factory they came with a sticker on them explaining a good amount of this operation. But obviously most people peeled these off and forgot about it, or certainly would not think to mention it to a mechanic.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=14967&cid=58

Click to see original Image in a new window

WITH IGNITION SWITCH OFF TRANS-
MISSION IS AUTOMATICALLY IN PARK
TO MOVE CAR WITHOUT THE ENGINE
RUNNING TURN IGNITION SWITCH
ON AND PRESS N BUTTON

Posted on: 2022/6/17 18:03
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
Quote:
Actually they merged in 1954.

They merged in 1954? I understood that Packard BOUGHT Studebaker rather than merged with them. Perhaps a matter of semantics in this case but a purchase and a merger are two entirely different legal processes.

Ahhh... a correction on my correction! Yes. And I already know what the terms mean and when the purchase took place. I lived in Detroit at the time and kept up with everything Packard did... and didn't do. We owned commercial property near the big plant. And I happen to have sets of Packard corporate Annual Reports from that period... so I know a few things.

But... I'm not making videos saying this stuff to the general public. Just trying to re-set the record from what Jay implied.

But the minute I repeated Jay's words, I knew I was merely opening myself to a retort. Why? Something that would be dissected, word for word, letter for letter all in premise of setting up another silly internet argument. But this isn't about me.

All this should be forwarded to Jay, huh?

Posted on: 2022/6/17 18:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many, many mis-statements in the Leno piece. I enjoy his presentations and the visibility he gives the hobby, but wish he'd research his commentaries better.

Yes, I think it would be appropriate to forward corrections to Mr. Leno so he could better understand his vehicle. I suspect he would appreciate the information.

Posted on: 2022/6/17 18:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Leeedy wrote:
Jay, bless his heart, makes several mis-statements in this video. And there are more in the article on the internet written about it...

• He repeats over and over that the seat cushions "come loose like a pillow fight when you stop." Cute, comedic thing to say, but the original cushions as made by the factory had tongues with snaps on them. These snaps held the cushions in place. Someone has quite obviously repopped the cushions in this car and made them incorrectly (they look too flat and probably with lighter foam). You think Packard would have released an obvious silly problem like Jay describes? No way.

• Jay says that the hood is "very heavy" and "filled with lead." Where does this silliness come from? Not true at all. Jay has a 1955 Caribbean, so he ought to know better. 1956 Caribbean hoods had the scoops pressed into the sheet metal– not added on. No lead. Just not true– no way no how. The hood is lighter than the 1955 hood and is certainly no heavier than typical hoods of that era. This is not a new Toyota... ALL 1950s American car hoods were "heavy" by modern standards.

• Jay calls the 1956 Ultramatic transmission simply a "two-speed" and goes as far as to say, "you don't miss a third gear." Wow. This is a huge understatement and typical classic car auction company speak. And comparing it with Chrysler is a very sad comparison. And it certainly was not like a Chevy Powerglide! Let's be fair! The 1956 Twin Ultramatic was a very sophisticated automatic. It had a fully aluminum case (like modern transmissions of today) when most automatics were heavy cast iron. The Ultramatic was one of the first automatics to have a "PARK" position when others of that era merely had "NEUTRAL" and you had to set the parking brake to prevent the car from rolling away!

The Ultramatic had a most unusual design that included a lock-up torque converter. So unlike some other mere "two-speed automatic"... when the Ultramatic went into high gear and then locked up you had direct-drive from the engine to the rear wheels. Rather than a slippery slush box, this transmission had a large clutch plate in the torque converter. Almost like a third gear. Why isn't this feature ever discussed?????

Of course the push button controls on this Twin Ultramatic were fully electronic, not like the cables on Mopars. One hugely misunderstood feature of these push-buttons was a thing called "Automatic Park." Whenever the ignition switch was switched "off", a second or so later, the transmission would automatically go into "PARK" position. This was in fact an early electronic anti-theft feature. People who never took the time to read the owner's manual (including tow truck drivers and mechanics) would push the "NEUTRAL" button with the ignition switch off and expect the transmission to go into "Neutral". Then get upset that the transmission was still in "PARK" (as it was designed to be). This resulted in false rumors that these transmissions were prone to locking in "PARK". Yessssss, I know some did.

• Jay makes a big deal of the modified trunk interior (he thinks it is original) and the covered spare tire. Sorry, but they didn't cover the spare like shown. This car is not completely "unrestored"...I've seen it up close years ago.

• Caps on the wire spoke wheels are obvious repops (probably the wheels too). Originals did not have a red painted hexagon. Instead, the original hexagons on wire wheel center caps were trimmed in red reflective Scotchlite. Packard also sold the adhesive-back Scotchlite red hexes as accessories.

• Jay makes it sound as though Studebaker and Packard didn't get together until after 1956. Actually they merged in 1954. Officially, the company that built the 1956 Caribbean was the Studebaker-Packard Corporation. The cars that people rejected were the Studebaker-built 1957 and 1958 "Packardbakers" that Packard originally had no intention of building. These cars were made as emergency stop-gaps after Packard had basically been commandeered by Curtiss-Wright and the Detroit, Utica and California facilities forcibly sold off.

Cute video, and comedic things said that might appeal to those who don't know Packard or 1956 Caribbeans... but there are so many more accurate and relevant things that could have been said here.

Good info, thanks! I learned a few things in there. I had incorrectly thought that the '56 used lead in the hood like the '55. Did the '56 use lead between the headlight hood extensions and original fender? I thought I remember something about that.

It seemed like Jay was speaking off the cuff for most of the video. With so many makes and models of cars in his collection I'm not surprised he left out/confused some important things. Either way, still a nice-looking Caribbean. A '56 is one of my dream cars to own...

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/6/17 18:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
[quote]

Good info, thanks! I learned a few things in there. I had incorrectly thought that the '56 used lead in the hood like the '55. Did the '56 use lead between the headlight hood extensions and original fender? I thought I remember something about that.

It seemed like Jay was speaking off the cuff for most of the video. With so many makes and models of cars in his collection I'm not surprised he left out/confused some important things. Either way, still a nice-looking Caribbean. A '56 is one of my dream cars to own...

-Kevin

Hello,

Again, there was no lead in the 1956 Caribbean hood. This is a complete fantasy... no matter how many times people keep repeating it... and no matter how much of an "authority" one may appear to be. No lead in that hood– no matter who says so. Sorry.

As for the 1955 hood... what Packard used to fill the seams on the 1955 Caribbean hood was not lead. It was a new and special material called "Packard New Metal"... yes. Packard said so. And the stuff was sold at Packard dealers. Today, you might call Packard New Metal a hybrid of lead, aluminum and...well... Bondo.

Jay also has a special 1955 Caribbean. So why he is making a big deal out of the "weight" of the 1956 hood is a mystery. Maybe he needs to break out a can of lube on the hinges.

Yes, 1956 Packards used lead on the seams of the headlight caps on the front fenders and elsewhere.

Posted on: 2022/6/17 20:44
 Top  Print 

Re: Jay Leno
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Perhaps Jay could review these videos before he ventures out making one of his own.

Out of the Future (1954)

Engineering Gibberish

Posted on: 2022/6/18 14:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:

acolds wrote:
They have snaps to hold them and the cushion fit into the seat frame rather tightly . The original seats from Randy's car still had the snaps and they still worked, The new ones are a tight fit in the frame as well. Not a expert but just feeling on the matter. Jays car is very similar to Randy's except for interior colors. In video he made a few mistakes in regards to Caribbean but I respect him for his car knowledge to mention them he is true car guy with money to do his car collecting justice

Al (acolds), thanks for this clarification. I can't even imagine that Packard had been able to develop jet engines, was part of a group of drivetrain experts to develop a nuclear heated gas turbine but allegedly wasn't able to fasten a pillow. The opposite is true. It was advertised as a remarkable evolution in seating. The new contemporary sofa seats featured slip-out, reversible back rests - leather on one side, fabric on the other ... A master touch: the upholstery may be zipped off for easy cleaning.

image source: staticflickr.com, caption: "Rare factory shot of a 1956 Packard Caribbean and reversible cushions"
Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  reversible.jpg (234.76 KB)
757_62ae2ac402428.jpg 1798X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/6/18 14:42
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Re: Jay Leno
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
So while we're busy thanking others for what I previously said in the very first paragraph of my response to Jay's video. Here is more to consider. And argue about. And level insults.

Here are real, factory original 1956 Caribbean cushions from one of my own Caribbeans. Take a look at the snap straps on the upright cushions. As long as these are snapped into place as the factory intended them to be, there should be no "pillow fight" cushions flying around the car. Period.

One senseless arguer wanted to defend Jay's "pillow fight" cushions with "maybe the snaps are worn out and not working." Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Dome-head snaps are still being made. This is not rocket science. Replace the things just like you would replace a bad master cylinder for your brakes! Don't blame all this on the poor car or on Packard. Or imply that Packard was so inept that they would actually release a design that would allow cushions to fly around the car on a hard stop!

AND if anyone is doing that many hard stops in a vintage luxury car, maybe it's time to break out the California Driving Handbook and start brushing up on driving technique. Particularly the part about interval spacing between cars and tailgating and following too close.

Finally, take a look at the photos. Notice the original zippers on the coverings. And notice the factory original cushions were also NOT dead flat...then have at it. My compliments... you're welcome.

Attach file:

jpg  CaribbeanCushionStackWM.jpg (99.92 KB)
1249_62ae898bdb7a6.jpg 818X1055 px

jpg  CaribbeanCushions6WM.jpg (73.32 KB)
1249_62ae8a1e47b51.jpg 1108X507 px

Posted on: 2022/6/18 21:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CarFreak
See User information
Leedy,

Thank you for that information. I always enjoy the knowledge you bring to light. Given your passion for Packards, why dont you make some videos to post on Youtube for the masses to be educated on the matter of Packards?

Videos are the new media people are using to share information. So why not set the record straight on some common misconceptions with Packards so there can be a greater appreciation for the vehicles?

Posted on: 2022/6/20 8:55
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved